Help

Fourth Grade

Departmental or Self Contained?

>

hsday

Departmental or Self Contained?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Currently I teach ELAR and have been given the opportunity to go self contained in fourth grade next year. I'm seriously considering it and leaning that direction. What advice or suggestions do any of you have for me?

hsday is offline   Reply With Quote

aggiemomx2

Self-Contained or department
Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught first for years.... boy was it a nightmare to be absent, preparing for every subject, dealing with returning and having things mixed up. I have been a 4th grade teacher for 8 years and we are departmentalized. LOVE it.

I believe that it is hard work and so much pressure to teach ELAR, but adding the pressures of math and science would be even more. In Texas we have the TAKS test, so that would have a self contained teacher having 3 TAKS subjects and knowing that next year the kids would be tested in science.

Follow your heart, it is a trade off. Knowing your subject well, knowing just your homeroom, and dealing with one set of parents. There are times a person just needs a new start to prevent burnout.
aggiemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cms0620

Stay
Old 02-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love teaching 1 subject vs. all of them!!!!

Plus you always have someone backing you up on student behavor for parent conferences and you if you have a rough group you know that in a few hours you trade off!
cms0620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfull

Go with your first instinct
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught in a middle school off and on for several years and fought to stay because I loved teaching in my strongest area and not having to worry about anything else. Even having two preps because I had an advanced English class in the middle of my other ELA classes.
I just got tired of being bumped every single year and moving all of my things.
I kept getting bumped and ending up in elementary.
I am teaching 4th this year and love it. I don't really love all of the stress of teaching all subjects, plus all of the projects required for service learning, but at least I don't have to pack up and move.
I am the only 4th grade so I don't have a choice. Next year there will be another 4th and I hope it is someone that I can work with and maybe rotate classes.
Mindfull is offline   Reply With Quote