Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

STAR Binder

>

hvlawson

STAR Binder
Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wanting to do a STAR Binder next year much like the MOOSE, BEE, etc., books I've heard about on PT. I do have a few questions for those who are using the Binder:

1. What did you call your binders?

2. What do you put in your binders?

3. Do you have any forms or documents you put in your binders that you're willing to share?

Thanks for your help!

hvlawson is offline   Reply With Quote

cms0620

We use I-Pod
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. What did you call your binders?

I-Pod "I'm Prepared and Organized Daily"
We put a label with a picture of an I-pod on the front with their name.

2. What do you put in your binders?

Pencil pouch, typed out weekly HW sheet (we switch classes in our 4th grade - we have hw for all the classes, parent reminders and a place for parents to sign nightly), HW folder

3. Do you have any forms or documents you put in your binders that you're willing to share?
We don't usually put anything else in it.
cms0620 is offline   Reply With Quote

hesgoldblack

S.T.A.R. Binders
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have used STAR Binders for 5 years now. At the beginning I called them BEE Binders but decided to use the STAR acronym (Students That Are Responsible or Students Taking Academic Responsibility). I love them and my parents love them. They are great for organization. I teach 4th grade.

I have the STAR rules, homework folder, take home folder, newsletter, several helpful sheets such as multiplication, scientific notation, etc. I can't remember what all is there. I am home right now. When I go to school tomorrow I will check to see and try to download what I have for you.
hesgoldblack is offline   Reply With Quote

teach8060

Beach
Old 03-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school is in a beach town, so I call it the BEACH binder (Bring Everyday: Assignments, Communication, Homework) which I, of course, found here on PT!

This is my first year using a binder and it is going great - except for some beaten up binders! I requested binders on my supply list, and most came through. I have had to replace a few for some of the kids, and some did not get the correct size. I had asked for 2 inch binders, saw how thick they were, re-thought it and asked for 1 1/2 inch...but I think 2 inches really works better for me.

I have the following pockets (vinyl): Homework, Keep Home, Sign and Return, Work in Progress, Study Guides and Long-Term Assignments, and World Language (They desperately needed one for World Language because in previous years, everything was lost.) Then, I gave them dividers - Math, Vocabulary, Science, Social Studies - for all the loose papers in those subjects, as well as any charts (multiplication/division facts) or helpful pages they need for Math in plastic sleeves. Everyone has a mesh zipper pouch, but no one is really using them, and their school-provided assignment books fit right in.

I will definitely use this idea again next year!

Unfortunately, my computer crashed and I do not have a copy of my guidelines at home, but I think I found the ideas on the Busy Board last summer!

Good luck - it's a worthwhile venture!
teach8060 is offline   Reply With Quote

hvlawson

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I appreciate all of your comments, my friends!

hvlawson is offline   Reply With Quote