Help

Bluebonnet Room

Mid year test frustrations

>

cms0620

Mid year test frustrations
Old 01-22-2011, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So at my school we are all about data. So yesterday I had to give a mid year test. This is the same excat test they took the 1st week of school to see their progress.

I have some students who did well and really tried and made 10 or more points of growth. Then I have those who either didn't grow or who went backwards!!!

I am so upset and work so hard but I have a group this year who could care less and I'm out of ideas. Any words of wisdom to get those who have given up to start caring again???

Learnaholic

Ideas
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our district is all about data as well. We take a standardized test on the computers 3 times a year called Education Performance. One way we've tried to get students caring is to have data boards posted for grades 6, 7, and 8. Our data boards are separated into 4 categories -- "at risk" (red), "below grade level" (yellow), "grade level" (white), "above grade level" (blue), and "advance" (green). We put colored index cards in the appropriate category after they take the test in August and their card color matches the category they're in. When they take the test again in December, if they show enough growth and move categories, their original card moves to the new category. I had students move from red to white, and they are so excited to see their growth number and their card in the grade level category. This could be modified for individual classrooms as well.

I've attached a document that shows how we label the cards.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Card layout for data boards.doc (26.0 KB, 149 views)

ThunderTeach

Sad
Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Isn't it sad that teaching has become so intertwined with this nonsensical testing? When will those who decide to place great emphasis on inaccurate testing wake up! Learning... is very difficult to quantify. This fact alone means that a focus on hard data will never truly improve education. Change needs to start with getting rid of legislation that ties funding to test scores.