Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Do you still teach cursive writing

>

Mrs. T

Do you still teach cursive writing
Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school is concerned because some of the 4-6 teachers require cursive and some don't. what do you think? Is cursive writing becoming extinct or should it still be required?

Mrs. T is offline   Reply With Quote

cms0620

I do
Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I still teach it but just so they know it. We learn all the letters and practice words, sentences, etc. but I don't make it madatory that they write in it after we learn it.
cms0620 is offline   Reply With Quote

pmpkin2

Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't see anything wrong with teaching it but I do not think it should be mandatory. After all, everything important in real life says...please print. You also never read books, magazines, or newspapers in cursive.
pmpkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

zdebgo

We still
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

teach it in 3rd grade. I'm in 4th and require it when writing for Language Arts and Spelling Tests (more for practice than anything else).
zdebgo is offline   Reply With Quote

tcb365

Old 02-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's still taught at my school. We're a small private school. Actually our 2nd grade teacher starts it with her class (she taught first last year, and did it then too!)

It's really focused on in third and by the time they get to me in 4th and 5th Lang. Arts they are supposed to know it.

However, I've got some that still struggle. One transfered in this year from a public school and it was never taught at the school he came from. I don't have them write in cursive on their spelling test, I'd rather know they know how to spell the word by reading their printing, rather than counting a word wrong b/c they didn't form the letters correctly in cursive.

I started the year giving them practice sheets. Now we just practice when time permits, but I've also just started a workstation for cursive writing with the cursive dry erase activities.

I do occasionally print their spelling word list in cursive so that they can practice that way. I've also had them write the word in print once and twice in cursive.

That's about the extent of what I do. Like someone else said, all the paperwork they will ever fill out said to please print. They just need to be able to sign their name.

tcb365 is offline   Reply With Quote

hesgoldblack

Cursive
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

is a thing of the past in my opinion. When they get to Middle School the teachers do not require it. Everything is printed or done on the computer. But... Indiana 4th grade standards require us to teach cursive. So we do the best we can.
hesgoldblack is offline   Reply With Quote

teach285

They need it
Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Imagine if you could not read cursive. People do write in cursive and once these children are adults and live in the world they will run across it maybe not as much but they will, what a shame if they can not even read the written English language.
teach285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Firebelly

I'm with teach285
Old 02-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If we don't teach students to write in cursive, they won't be able to read it. They lose the ability to read family letters (I don't know about you, but my parents and grandparents all write/wrote in cursive). Two years ago, my husband discovered letters his grandfather had written to his grandmother while he was off fighting in World War I. How fascinating to get to know them as a young newly married couple!

Aside from that, my students come to me printing, but without proper spacing, without capitalizing the first word in a sentence, and without consistent use of ending punctuation. What a nightmare to read their writing! With having them write in cursive, at least the spacing issue is no longer an issue. By the end of the year, many prefer cursive because they find it is faster than printing.

There's my two cents worth.
Firebelly is offline   Reply With Quote

adore2teach

It's in our curriculum
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

While I don't explicitly teach cursive, I give my students practice pages that tell them how to form the letter and gives them practice. I require all my students to write in cursive for spelling and for their final draft in writing. If a student is having trouble forming a letter, I ususally work with them when I conference with them in writing. Most of cursive teaching is done in second and third grade. By the time they get to fifth, they are usually pretty good at cursive, so I don't take a lot of time out of my day to teach it explicitly.
adore2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

kcall043

School Requirement
Old 02-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It is a requirement in my school that 2nd graders start writing everything in cursive by the time they get back from Christmas break. In fourth grade I have them redo the whole thing if it is not done in cursive because if I receive something in print I will not grade it or look at it.

kcall043 is offline   Reply With Quote

4wahls

The debate still rages...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our school is also debating the issue. I require my fifth grade students to write in cursive for everything except spelling. They need to be able to read cursive, but I do think it is becoming a lost art. It is so much prettier and faster to write in cursive, but with everything else I have to teach, I just don't give it any time. I figure that by the time they are in fifth grade, they know how to do it any way. If they don't know by then, it isn't worth the struggle.
4wahls is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach it and require it once I've taught it. If I don't require it, some won't try. If I don't teach it, I feel I am depriving my students of the opportunity to make their own choice as adults.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

bernicepw

Yes for the Brain
Old 12-10-2011, 01:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We don't emphasize it in our school however I recently was trained and am now teaching a language arts reading program called "Language! The Comprehensive Literacy Program" which I find to be amazing! The trainer highly recommended that our students know cursive as it's a much more fluent way for children to write. They don't pick up their pencils as often and the brain to pencil to paper flow happens more easily.

The "Language!" program is based on a lot of brain research and does a lot of right brain/left brain crossover drills.

I'm a special education teacher and have a student who receives OT. When I mentioned to her that I was going to teach my 11 special education students cursive she offered to come in 30 minutes a week and help using a program called "Clock Climbers."

The kids love it and beg me to practice during the week. So, now we spend the first ten minutes of every language arts period practicing our cursive. This is FOURTH GRADE and they are picking it up really fast. Their cursive handwriting is so much neater than their printing. I think it may be because they are being taught very systematically. They are print their letters in different ways, some from the bottom up, some in different ways every time... no wonder they have trouble getting their thoughts down!

I would highly recommend teaching cursive and I love the Clock Climbers program, which is officially "Loops and Other Groups A Kinesthetic Writing System". http://www.pearsonassessments.com/HA...0&Mode=summary
bernicepw is offline   Reply With Quote