Help

Fourth Grade

Reading/Writing in 4th grade

>

Barb/Ohio

Reading/Writing in 4th grade
Old 02-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I may have the opportunity to teach 4th grade language arts next year. This would be a big change for me. I currently teach second and have taught kindergarten and third grade. I do enjoy the primary grades but 4th grade intrigues me. I would love to hear how reading and writing looks in your classroom. Any information would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Barb

Barb/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

hsday

4th ELAR
Old 02-19-2011, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach Reading and Language Arts in 4th grade. I'm not sure what kind of informatin you're looking for, but I'll be happy to help.

We start each day with a word study which may only last about 10 minutes or so. We have several different activities for this time, it just depends on what we're doing.

Then we have shared reading. This is where my main lesson and new learning for the day comes in. I model what we will be doing that day, and give students the opportunity to practice it.

During Independent Reading they take what we did during shared reading and do it on their own. At the beginning of the year it may have only been 5 minutes, now it can last 20 - 30 minutes depending on what we are doing. It involves reading text, and responding in their notebooks.

We then move on to the Writing portion of the day. Again, it depends on what we are doing on how much time we spend. It usually means I model a new teaching point, or review an old one, and then kids either give me quick write or work on a composition that is already in progress.

Finally we do our daily work which includes editing and revising, and language skills. This rarely lasts more than 10 minutes.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions or need more information. I'd love to help.
hsday is offline   Reply With Quote

cms0620

Love it!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I only teach ELA - 3 blocks per day!

Mondays I do a whole group skill and writing

Tuesday and Thursday I do reading groups while the other students do daily language review, a center, independent reading, etc.c

Wednesdays I usually do a big writing lesson that we work on for the next week.

Fridays I do 3 spelling tests, a test prep practice and review it and more writing
cms0620 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenGables

ELA in 4th grade
Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I made the move from 2nd to 4th and this is my 3rd year in 4th grade. I really like it. There are fun and interesting aspects of both grades.

We use a basal in my district, so the TE looks very similar. One big difference is analyzing the texts, though. We spiral through several reading strategies through the year such as recognizing fact/opinion, summarizing, characterization, and author's purpose. In 4th grade (if you have good curriculum) the stories should be much deeper. We also compare texts, themes.

Another big difference is the writing. We have to prepare for a state writing assessment in TX, so we really try to nail down the writing process, concentrating heavily on narrative writing.

I found that my experience in 2nd (and 1st) grades helped me to be a better 4th grade teacher as I understand the process of reading acquisition which some might think a little rudamentary in 4th grade.

I moved to 4th for much the same reasons that you are thinking about a move. I really like it. The kids are able to reason a little more. I also enjoy teaching Math, Science, and SS, as I have a self-contained class. I must say, there are days when I think teaching 1 block would be easier - certainly less prep--I could be more thorough in my planning.

Last edited by GreenGables; 02-21-2011 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: mispelled word
GreenGables is offline   Reply With Quote

Begood

Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi Bard, I remember you from the 2nd grade board. I got moved after two months this year in 2nd. Now teaching 4th..I honest have to say..I dopn't like it. I'm also fro Ohio and with all the pressure of state testing..it's just too much. We have to get through so much in a day it Very difficult. I think Maybe if I would have had a choice maybe things would have been different. I taught 4th back when the profiency test was around. The kids were better behaved and we were able to do more.
This has been much a stressful year for me. But if it's truly something you wanna do...I say go for it. I miss my 2nd grade class.

BTW- Monday-intro text,spelling,define vocab
Tues- complete text, vocab web, writing process
Wed- listen to text, writing process
Thurs- centers
Fri-test prep, spelling test

Grammar minilessons are a part of wrting.

Good Luck!
Begood

Begood is offline   Reply With Quote
RachelEmbery

RachelEmbery

Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The BEST thing we did this year for writing is to get trained in ECAW, Every Child a Writer. I have never felt more successful in my writing instruction. No more massive whole group writing lessons, or very limited ones if at all. Google National Literacy Coalition for info. My kids writing has soared since 12/6 when I took the training. I love teaching writing in groups and feel that it is a ton more effective.

Barb/Ohio

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I appreciate everyone's reply! Thanks for your insight into 4th grade language arts.
Barb
Barb/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote