Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Refuses to work independently

>

fahajj

Refuses to work independently
Old 02-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who is an entire year younger than the others. He should really be a grade lower. This student does not perform on grade level at all. In all the years before this student has been given an extreme amount of one on one attention and been babied. This has caused the student to do very little without one on one attention. The student is much more capable of what he does. There is no way that working alone he does not know what 2+3 is but as soon as an adult comes near he instantly knows the answer. Any help? I refuse to give this student the one on one attention they crave each day until he attempts to do some things on his own.

fahajj is offline   Reply With Quote

cms0620

Be tough
Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you done a parent conference on this? I'd lay it out that the child wil fail if he cannot do work independently.

Try moving the student into the hall and see if the work gets done. Right before recess is a great time to try this and if its not done move the student into another classroom while your class goes outside and make the student stay in until the work is completed.

I'd also start writing the student up for refusal to do work. I know it sounds harsh but if he refuses to do things that you know he knows its a behavior that needs to be broken.
cms0620 is offline   Reply With Quote

fahajj

Done all this already
Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Spoke to grandmother and told her that he is not going to get one on one attention until he shows that he is putting forth some effort. Child is not defiant, you wouldn't even know that he was there. He is very quiet and well behaved, never in trouble.

Don't have recess so that is not an option.

MrsSusko

attention grabber
Old 02-20-2011, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've had students like this before. It's tough to get them to do anything on their own. I'd start sending home whatever is not completed in class as homework. I would also eliminate any privileges that students in your class might get, including working in groups with others, until the student gets his independent work done. I would explain to the student that he isn't part of the class unless he's doing his part. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Good luck!
MrsSusko is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

I would send
Old 02-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

home all work not completed in class. Let the guardian complete the work with the child. Send a note that says something like unable to complete in class. Please complete at home and return tomorrow. Do it everyday. Document how many pages are going home. But to help this student you must stop enabling him by sitting beside him all day long. His next years teacher isn't going to do it. Make sure you document in his report cards and progress reports that he is not able to keep up with the rest of the class and needs constant support on all assignments. Start talking to him and the guardians about being retained because of this.

I would also suggest you fill out the student review forms on this child so the paper trail will begin with you. It's difficult when no one has decided to do anything about it before you get a student.

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

fahajj

He wants to take
Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

all the extra work home. That way grandma will do it with him and he gets what he wants. The student is in my room very little as I have a combination and teach none of his subjects. The problem is the work from the other teachers and the few things that he has for me.

snowball

timer
Old 03-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

On a given assignment put an individual timer on his desk (like an egg timer) tell him he must complete a set number of problems within the 5 min. on the timer without assistance. Then after the 5 min. review his work offer assistance on next problem and restart timer. You can slowly ween him off this process by increasing timer amount before assistance, does work but takes some patience. Still follow other posters advise and document but can be started now.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote

ABusyTeacher

Old 03-10-2011, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Definitely document what you are doing. I have a student similar to this. He wastes so much time in class when given time to work on assignments. He will do everything BUT the homework (sharpen a pencil, get a kleenex, use the restroom, etc). It drives me crazy. After talking with mom, I found out that he refuses to work unless she sits down right next to him while he is working on homework. Recently, she informed me that she is no longer sitting next to him during homework time and therefore, he is not doing his homework. She told him that he was going to have to accept the consequences. Fast forward to this week, I sat the student down and asked him why he wasn't doing his homework unless someone was right next to him. He said he didn't know. I went on to explain that he was a smart boy and should be able to do these assignments on his own. He hands in a lot of stuff late. I told him that in middle school (at least ours), they do not accept late work and all those assignments would be zeros. I explained what zeros would do to his grade. I then explained how that would affect him wanting to play sports. Ever since this little chat, he has been getting his homework done.

I guess what I am saying is, find something that the student enjoys doing and show them how their lack of hard work is going to affect them.
ABusyTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote