Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Real ID update

>

momteach310

Real ID update
Old 08-07-2019, 01:04 PM

You cannot make an appt here. Arrived around 10 - it was going to be a 4 hour wait! No thanks, so I left and went back around 3:30 armed with all the documents and then some - that they require. I had my original SS card, my photo driver's license, my marriage license from the state of NJ vital statistics, my birth certificate from the hospital with a seal on it, and a notification of birth registration for extra proof, and a current bank statement with my name on it. Sounds like I have all documents together. Fortunately someone was coming around checking documents this afternoon to be sure you'd be ready for when they called your number within the next hour and a half. Nope - FAIL. She claimed my birth certificate isn't the real thing. ARE YOU KIDDING? It's the only thing I have, the one my mother gave me when it was time to pass the vital papers on - it has a seal, all the right names, issued by the hospital etc. The woman told me I had to go apply for a real copy of it - $20 - and come back when I get it. ��

This is the same place that has been issuing me a photo driver's license for all these years....seems weird..

However if I wanted to buy a gun today I would just have to show my license and be sure I was over 18.

Something is wrong here.

momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-07-2019, 01:12 PM

OMG, after ALL that hassle! I'd be livid (internally). If all that wasn't good enough, I wonder if my docs will suffice. My SS card is laminated, so they probably won't take that, so I might as well apply for a replacement now plus my signature on it is different from my license (and the way I sign my signature now). I've got to dig out and see how authentic my birth certificate looks.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 08-07-2019, 01:28 PM

My old birth certificate wasnít taken either. I had to go to town hall to get one where I was born.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

momteach310
Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM

I see you are in PA. My goodness I feel your pain. We were told when we got our new licenses that as long as we have a passport, we don't need real id. Hope that's true.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

That stinks
Old 08-07-2019, 01:54 PM

I had to get mine in June and fortunately, we can make appointments here. I still had to send a way for an official copy of my birth certificate, because I couldn't find mine. My passport had expired and my driver's license showed my old address. They wouldn't take my registration as proof. It's was a pain in the neck and I'm glad I won't have to do it again for years.

anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 08-07-2019, 02:31 PM

That's a pain. Hospital birth certificates aren't "real" certificates, though. Official birth certificates are government issued.

My mom was born at home. When she had to get a certificate she had to have 2 non-relative witnesses who remembered when she was born. Most people who would have qualified we're dead.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Real Id
Old 08-07-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
MACMama's Message:

I see you are in PA. My goodness I feel your pain. We were told when we got our new licenses that as long as we have a passport, we don't need real id. Hope that's true.
Thatís true, but you will have to take your passport with you, even if you are flying domestically.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 PM

I have to do it in the fall and I'm already dreading it. Every time I drive by the RMV, there is a line out the door!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 PM

Gosh, I just renewed my license yesterday and I assume it will be the new ID, because I had to bring the special documentation. It's supposed to come in the mail in another week or two.
No issues with it, though. I showed my ss card, passport, bank statement, and I had utility statements but they said they didn't need any because I brought the copy of my renewal reminder with me, so they used that instead.
And I only waited an hour and a half. Last time I went it was probably a good 2 or 3. So I really got off easy!
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-07-2019, 08:02 PM

The birth certificate has to be a certified copy issued by the government. A hospital copy is not acceptable.

Also you cannot laminate your social security card.

A passport is sufficient. I got my real id because I didn’t want to carry around my passport on a daily basis. You need passport or real id for all flights and federal buildings.

sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Just remembered- I also had to answer a list of questions like if I had any warrants outstanding etc.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Snicklesnack

Real ID
Old 08-08-2019, 02:21 AM

When I got my passport a couple of years ago, I was turned away at my first attempt because my birth certificate did not have my parentsí names on it. Apparently thatís the way they were back then. I had to apply for a new copy that had them on. I wonder if itís the same for Real ID.
Snicklesnack is offline   Reply With Quote