Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

AT&T U-verse

>

Teacherbee_4

AT&T U-verse
Old 08-08-2019, 08:29 AM

I am so confused! I need help! So, in my last two apartments, I had Internet through a different company, not AT&T U-verse. My new apartment gave information for AT&T U-verse at move-in. I'm checking to see if that's the only company they allow or if I can go to other places, I'd assume I'd be able to use other places, but when they gave a move-in checklist one of the things was to contact AT&T U-verse for Internet and cable and that was the only contact information they provided.

I checked with AT&T U-verse for prices. When they gave me the price for packages, they were talking about data and how in addition to speeds, there was a data plan. One was unlimited and one was a different amount (I can't remember how much). I'm only familiar with data with cell phones and my cell phone plan is not through them, so I was confused. I asked and they said in order to stream, like Netflix and music and such, I'd need data with the Internet and it would work just like a cell-phone where you have to stay with your data allowance. My old Internet company never said to word to me about data. I've never heard this when using the Internet. Is this normal? I really don't want to get screwed, and I feel that's what they are doing. I'm hoping I hear back from my apartment soon and that it's okay to use another company because I trust my last company more!

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Iím confused, too. Why would your apartment owners/management have any say in which internet provider you choose? Sounds very fishy to me.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Hoping
Old 08-08-2019, 08:38 AM

That's why I'm hoping it was a just a suggestion. It doesn't seem legal that they can tell you what company to use. I thought maybe the other company I used in the past didn't come to that area because it is a more rural, but I checked online and they service my zip code, so I assume that would mean they service my apartment complex. I'm hoping to hear from my apartments because the last company I used was $30 cheaper a month!

Teacherbee_4

Exclusively
Old 08-08-2019, 08:41 AM

They just told me they partner exclusively with AT&T U-verse. I asked if that means I can only use them.

Teacherbee_4

Heard back..
Old 08-08-2019, 08:47 AM

I heard back and they just told me that the company I did I use doesn't service the apartments and the only place that does is AT&T. I just worry about the data usage. Does anyone have AT&T U-verse and can tell me what data plan you use?

TAOEP

Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 AM

Often in an apartment building, there is a contract with one provider. The whole building may be wired for that particular service and then individuals work with that provider only to get service.

It's partly because they don't want all different companies trying to run wires and cables to the building. At least that's my understanding.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM

That is very strange! My apartment complex gives us a choice of Comcast or Verizon, which are already wired for each apartment. They do have plans for different data speeds, but never the amount of data like on cell phone plans.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 08-08-2019, 02:38 PM

FWIW: My uverse bill does have a data usage section on the Internet part. I think it was part of the bundle we got when we signed up. Seems to be a set fee, as we have unlimited data.

Also, back of bill says this: "U-verse app: Requires qualifying device and data connection. Access to content varies by device, TV plan and viewing location. Data charges may apply." We don't have a U-verse app on phones or iPads so this doesn't apply to us.

Aside from the whole fiasco of AT&T having dropped CBS, we were happy with them. Not so much now, because CBS is our local station & we should be getting it free! ��

ETA: We got CBS back! Yay!

Last edited by VivianCP; 08-08-2019 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: more info
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-09-2019, 04:06 PM

That's very common in my area. All apartments I've lived in have had an exclusive contract with one particular internet/cable company and you could only go through them. My current apartment requires Centurylink and my previous apartment required Xfinity.

As far as the data limit, I would do some googling on that and see how much is typically used and compare that to your habits. I've been looking into the same thing because I'm thinking of trying a new company when I move to get the cheap introductory rates for the first year (and then at the end of the year, I can switch back to my current company and get their introductory rates). From what I read, it seems most people have nothing to worry about with the data cap. Here's one example: https://www.consumerreports.org/tele...-1TB-data-cap/
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote