Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Former students hanging out?

>

BlueSnow

Former students hanging out?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A couple of my former students (they went on to middle school this year) have begun visiting me every day after school gets out. They spend at least an hour chatting with me unless I kick them out earlier. What do you think? Although it distracts me from time I need to get some work done, I think it's important for middle school kids especially to have other trustworthy adults in their lives. But I worry that it is verging on inappropriate because of the length of time. What do you all think?

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-07-2012, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that can be normal at this age and I agree with you, they know you are trustworthy so they come over and hang out. I do not think its a problem other than trying to get your work done, unless they start coming one at a time. Just don't be alone with one for any period of time.

Nancy

MrsCroak

Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

also make sure they follow the proper policy for visitors. they may need to sign in at the office.

Deb4kids

Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Put them to work: stapling packets, cleaning desks & counters, etc. Tell them they are only allowed to stay that long if they are volunteering. Otherwise, it's 15 minute visits only.

BlueSnow

All good ideas
Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks. The past few days I haven't let them in the building--just talked through the window to them, but it will be cold soon so that won't work for much longer.

MKat

Old 09-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was going to suggest the same thing as Deb4kids. I'd invite them to come ONE day a week and have work ready for them. If they come other days, wave from afar and say "see you on xday!"

OmahaTeacher

Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have some former students who continue to visit me after school at least a few times a week. They are now in 7th grade and I teach 4th. I have had to start kicking them out a bit earlier because I have my own students staying after school for homework help. I do let them come in a have a lunch bunch with me once a month. I love the fact that they still like to come and see me. They were the sweetest bunch of girls and I enjoy getting to talk to them.

Zepper

Old 09-08-2012, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This almost always happens to me the first few weeks of school - kids that have gone on to high school visiting and chatting. I find that after a few weeks they become more comfortable at their new school and the visits stop or become far fewer.

I know what you mean though. They're coming to visit because they know you care about them and they miss you - and vice versa. It's hard to get work done though. Either put them to work or be honest and after a few minutes of chatting, say goodbye because you have work to be done before you can go home.