Help

First Grade

Community Leaders??

>

msemze

Community Leaders??
Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need help with some ideas on a lesson for community leaders. The students will be learning very soon about the election and will have a mock election in class and will have fake voter registration cards, etc. They will also be learning about rules and being a good citizen. They have learned about presidents and their role. Now, I need to do a lesson on community leaders (like mayor, governor, etc.). I was going to begin by activating their prior knowledge on the president and citizenship and rules, and then explain to them what a community is and how we all work together. I just don't know what I'm going to do for learning about leaders without getting too in depth, as they are just first graders. My class is pretty high-leveled, and I don't need to do much differentiation, but I'm just having trouble with this lesson. Also, I am a student teacher and this is the first social studies lesson I will have taught!
If anyone has any lessons or activities, can you please help me out! Thank you!

msemze is offline   Reply With Quote

fishingforfun

Just finished...
Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We just finished our unit on community. We started by talking about what a leader is, then leaders at home, leaders at school, finally community leaders.

You could compare and contrast community leaders vs. ? leaders.
-Get 2 hula hoops, to make a big venn diagram on the floor.
-Have phrases or sentences already made up on card stock that you want the kids to sort.
-Read the card and have the kids sort them in the 3 groups.

This is easy and gets the kids up. My kids can do this activity and feel successful (they are pretty low).
fishingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote

msemze

Old 10-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was going to have them compare and contrast leaders in the community vs. leaders in the school possibly. My instructor has asked me to use realia (real life examples. ex: map, photos, etc.) and that is something that has been extra challenging for me.
The hula hoop idea is wonderful!
msemze is offline   Reply With Quote