Help

New Teachers

Help!

>

Rinny101

Help!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all. I just got my first teaching job and started this week. My husband was just offered a great job opportunity out of state. What can I do?

Rinny101 is offline   Reply With Quote

alecram

resign
Old 09-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Honestly, I would follow my husband especially if he is the main provider. Explain the best way possible your situation and give them your resignation letter. That is what I would do!
alecram is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would go with my husband. The school may hold you to the terms of your contract ,which may mean you need to stay for 30 days. Not really a big deal even if your husband needs to leave ahead of you.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueSnow

Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You could always finish out the year living separately, and then follow him at the end of the school year.
BlueSnow is offline   Reply With Quote

cmariem

Old 09-27-2012, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I feel like the best thing to do is to follow your husband. No matter where you go there is always a school in the area you could look for jobs. I think your husband would appreciate it and maybe a change could be a good thing. Would you mind moving or do you like your school?

cmariem is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueLupine

Talk
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow, Rinny, that's a really tough situation to be in. I bet you're super stoked about getting a job and starting your new career, and it would be so tough to leave and start all over again (hopefully, if you're actually able to find a job in a new place with very little experience), especially if you have to switch grades.

I guess if it were me, I'd start by being honest with my spouse about my feelings, my ideal situation, my concerns, and my hopes for us both, and then listening to his thoughts. A "great opportunity" for him might not be as meaningful as you interpret it to be, or it might be just what he's been waiting for his whole life.

Of course, as previous posters have mentioned, money is something to consider as well - how much his income might increase vs. yours if you stay or go. And then there's quality of life in the location, quality of schools for you to teach in and if you plan to have kids at some point, proximity to other family and friends if those are important to you, so many things to consider!!

I hope that what ever you two decide will be best works out great for you both - keep us posted!
BlueLupine is offline   Reply With Quote