Substitute Teachers

Could I Become a Sub?

>

Marbe

Marbe

Could I Become a Sub?
Old 02-07-2021, 02:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone, I am hoping you all could help me out. I am wanting to become a sub but have a couple of questions about my qualifications and background.

First, I have been in Air Force for almost 15 years and that is only job Iíve had in my adult life. I was 8 years active duty (2006-2014) and since 2014 have been in the Air National Guard, working full time in it. I have a BA in sociology but nothing in the way of education.

Second, in 2007 I received a DUI. I was just out of my initial military training and was young and stupid. I hired a lawyer and it did get dismissed. Since then I think Iíve had maybe two traffic tickets for speeding but nothing else. Those tickets were prior to 2011 or so, so nothing in about the last 10 years. I have been able to rank up and continue to hold a security clearance.

These two things make me wonder if Iíd be able to become a sub. Iím not sure what state Iíll be moving to but most likely in the mid-west. If you all could provide any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

MACMama

Old 02-07-2021, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iím pretty sure you are fine. Those incidents happened years ago.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

You may want to consider
Old 02-07-2021, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

investigating the Troops to Teacher program if you haven't already. There is support for helping to transition to civilian life and become involved in education.

Credentialing requirements for substitutes vary from state to state. Some state only require a high school diploma, others want some college, others a college degree. My own state (Nevada) recently decided a high school diploma was ok during the pandemic and the difficulty in finding people willing to supervise classrooms. You should be fine for requirements.

I imagine all state require a fingerprint check with the FBI or some other agency. It is unlikely your prior difficulties would show up or even cause problems, but you can explain that they were long ago and you've grown and learned from your mistakes. The checks are primarily for felonies and child abuse.

I do wonder if you want to become a substitute or would rather train to be a teacher. Substitutes are poorly paid, have no guarantee of steady work, and are at times mistreated by their students. On the other hand, it is a good way to see if you like being in schools and to explore the culture of schools to see if it might be a good fit for you.

There is a definite shortage of teachers in several states and an overabundance in others. It would be good to investigate where the best chance of getting employment is before make location decisions. There are reasons enrollment in teacher training programs have decreased by 30% over the last few years. You might want to do some reading of the various boards on here to see what current conditions are. Do be aware that people come to this site for help, support, and a chance to share hassles.

Many days, teaching goes well and makes a contribution to children and the country. It's just on other days, no so much.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Marbe

Marbe

Thank you for responses
Old 02-08-2021, 12:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The reason Iíll be moving is because my wife is in med school and will be starting residency this summer. We donít know which program will select her until March. Then I can start looking into that specific stateís requirements.

I have looked into troops to teachers and I plan on find out out more about it once we know where weíll be going.

I think subbing would work best for right now. Iíd still like to continue full time with the guard but I may not be able to depending on where we go. Getting to 20 years and retiring from that is my priority and subbing along with the occasional guard duty could keep me employed and out income the same as it is now for us (since she will be earning during residency). Full time teaching is something I may pursue in the future but for the next 2-3 years I think subbing would work best.

bodhimom

Old 02-08-2021, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I doubt the dui would be a problem. I was told by someone in hr that many teachers have something on their record. It wasn't a felony.

In California subs have to have a 4-year degree, but it can be in anything.

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Give it a shot
Old 02-08-2021, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It definitely sounds like a good fit for you because of the flexibility.

Degree requirements vary widely, but I'm in Massachusetts, and I subbed Pre-K and up for many years with just a BS in mathematics. I loved teaching so many different ages and subjects!

And I don't think the old driving record will hurt you. As someone said, the background check is primarily looking to make sure children are safe around you.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Marbe

Marbe

I will give it a shot
Old 02-08-2021, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am reassured and as soon as I know where we will be moving to Iíll look at that stateís requirements. I hope the process doesnít take too long. It would be nice to be able to start next school year if my guard stuff ends up not being full time.

Unfortunately troops to teachers isnít taking new registrations due to uncertain funding. Maybe it will change by the time I move.

How has subbing been due to COVID? Each state is probably different but has the need for subs increased or decreased in this environment?

Submarine24

You Will be On Your Own
Old 02-12-2021, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As far as your history, I agree with the others that this should not be an issue and they will probably like your military background. Many of the schools have a pseudo-military approach anyway. Regarding being a sub, nobody cares about subs. The ideal sub in their eyes is invisible. You should like kids because this will help get you through the incredible b.s. you will have to endure, some of us call it the Pettiocracy. You keep the kids safe, can manage the classroom (classroom management skills are critical), and you can suck up well (to keep the pettiocracy happy because it will be VERY petty). They don't see subs as completely human so don't expect to be treated like one. It only works if you use them as much as they will use you. If you have fragile self-esteem, need a lot of hand holding, or expect a lot of camaraderie you will be very disappointed. You are nothing but a temp in their eyes and this is how you will be treated. If you can take this, you should be okay. Also, you will be expected to wear a mask all day around the kids, and you should anyway. Schedules are very hard to predict with COVID. One case, and the school can be closed for a week, the kids sent home. The up side is we work when we want to and if a school treats you poorly, you can leave them and move on and you should.
Submarine24 is offline   Reply With Quote