The VENT

best answer to intent to return?

>

needadvicee

needadvicee

best answer to intent to return?
Old 02-18-2021, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm planning to apply to a DoD school(which is a long shot since I have no military background) Now, with the "intent to return" due tomorrow, I wonder if I have to be honest by choosing "not sure" (about returning to my current school). I'd like to have a safe bet in case my application to DoD schools don't work out well. Will it give the admin any negative hint that I'm trying to leave? Any possibility that they will not renew my contract? Or, what if I choose "Yes, I'll return" and not sign the contract months later because I got an offer from my dream DoD school? Will it offend the admin one way or the other?

With the possibility of future employer contacting my current admin for references, I want to hear from you who jumped ships safely.

2teach2

Old 02-18-2021, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Twenty one years ago, I signed my letter of intent at the end of the school year with my then-district, but was hired by another district in July. I was released from my contract with no problem. My principal was aware that I was hoping to find a teaching position closer to my home, so she had no problem letting me out of my contract. Does your admin know that you are applying for another job? I'm sure it has probably happened in your district where someone said that they would return, but then didn't return for one reason or another. Maybe you could check with your union rep to be sure.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 02-19-2021, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Until you have a contract with a different position, you are intending to return. We have to give 30 days notice if we are leaving. Don't cut that job until you are sure! You can still give your current employer a heads up that you are looking. Just give a reason that doesn't imply any negativity about your current place. like - closer to home, or schedule with family is better, or . . .
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 02-19-2021, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd out intending to return. If you get another job before contract is signed you take it if fit is right. It's part of the way things work!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-19-2021, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Intending to return. If you get the other job and you have time before school starts, it's not usually a problem of any sort. At this point, you are intending to return. This job is a long shot, so you're not planning on it.

Good luck with this DoD job!!

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

An intent to return form
Old 02-19-2021, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

is not a binding contract. It is merely what you think might happen, or your intentions. Right now, you intend to come back. That would change only if you get an offer elsewhere.

You might want to look into the rules/expectations of your school district. They give us our contracts in late May/early June, but we have until July 15 to rescind our contract with no penalty. The intent to return means nothing.

Bottom line: Unless you have a contract with someone else, sign the intent.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-19-2021, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In my area those intent forms aren't binding in any way. They're just for planning purposes. I can't imagine anywhere where an intent form is binding, but you can always ask your union (or HR if you don't have one) if you're really not sure.

I would absolutely put that you intend to return right now. If you end up getting the other job you just explain that circumstances changed. A couple of years ago I was pretty intent on leaving for a different type of position; I did the whole rigmarole with applications and such, interviewed and was even offered another position, but it just didn't work (position wasn't really what I thought/what I was looking for). I ended up back at my school with no one the wiser- I'm so glad I never said anything!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 02-20-2021, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You sign it. Here you can get out of your contact up to 45 days before the start of instruction. You need a new contact before you decline your current one.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote