Help

Writing & Language Arts

Writer's Workshop for 3rd grade

>

HBteach

Writer's Workshop for 3rd grade
Old 07-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have lessons for WW for 3rd grade? Do you use the K-2 books or 3-5 books? The lower books are kind of primary and the upper books are a little sophisticated I think.

My grade level has been struggling with this for the last couple of years. What do you do, use?

Our writing standard says that 3rd graders should be able to write a paragraph with a topic at least 3 detailed sentences and a concluding sentence. How do you incorporate that with Lucy Caulkins?

I'm much more comfortable with a more structured writing program. I call WW Lucy goosey.

I just need HELP! I can't go through another year frustrated like I was last year and feeling like I didn't teach writing.

HBteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tangolily

Maybe this would help you
Old 07-19-2009, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One book that helped me get started was:
Carden, Kathleen A. & Godley-Sugrue, Mary (2005). Grade 3 Writing Curriculum: Week-by-Week Lessons.Scholastic.

The projects and ideas in it gave it structure and yet allowed kids to individualize their writing. The prewriting preparation was good but I wouldn't try to do it on the forms given in the book - maybe in a notebook where the kids had more room and did it one step at a time.

This year, however, I am going to try Ralph Fletcher's Teaching the Qualities of Writing materials.
tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote

teach_flower

craft lessons
Old 07-26-2009, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Craft lessons by ralph fletcher is a great resource to implement in the writing workshop while students are gathering seed ideas and taking writing through the writing process. It gives literature suggestions you can use by real authors to assist in teaching specific craft techniques. I also like the 4 Blocks Writing Books. They offer mini-lesson suggestions to help kids with their craft and also a look at where kids might be at different times of year and ideas for instruction at different levels. I like how there are different teacher resource books for different grades.
Hope this helps~
teach_flower is offline   Reply With Quote