First Job: Part-Time Reading Program Teacher!!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

First Job: Part-Time Reading Program Teacher!!!

>

backstrk

First Job: Part-Time Reading Program Teacher!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone!! I just graduated in May and have been job-hunting all summer! Today I got offered a job to teach a reading program in the mornings at a school! It is about 12-15 hours a week, but I will only be with the students 1 hour each day. I took it because I love teaching reading and I love the idea of being in the same building everyday and networking!! The program gets done at 8:30 and most schools begin at 8:50 around here so I am hoping to sub in this building or at one of the several elementaries nearby as soon as the program ends!! Hopefully I'll meet teachers and principals through this job that will lead to a full-time spot next year : )

About the instruction: I am supposed to focus on reading comprehension and sustained reading. Last year, I was told that the teacher structured the program similar to the Daily Five and worked in small groups. I will be in charge of 20 students in grades 1st-5th and have a program assistant. I am supposed to be looking at the curriculum tomorrow but it sounds like there might be some room for me to adjust things and do things my way as long as I meet objectives. I am completely happy using the Daily Five with the students but I just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions for teaching reading for one hour with such a variety of ages and reading levels?

Also, any classroom management tips with the age differences? What should I have in terms of classroom management since it's a before-school program and only one hour? Has anyone else ever done something similar? Thanks for any advice!!!

I am going in tomorrow to see my room and classroom supplies, talk with the program director, and see the curriculum so I may know more then but I just had to share my excitement!!!

backstrk is offline   Reply With Quote

backstrk

Old 08-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Today I found out today that I do have full control! I'm not hired by the school but actually hired by a local county program through a government grant for reading help. The school has a low percentage of students who score proficient on state tests. The goal for me as the reading teacher is that the students with show growth throughout the year on their standardized testing. That being said, I can evaluate the students' reading growth however I would like in my classroom. Which books I use, which structure I use, and which assessments I use are my choice! The LitART LEARN After-School Curriculum has been provided for me to use if I would like. There is currently one first grader, five second graders, and eight third through fifth graders enrolled in the program but up to 20 students may join so I think I will be focusing more on comprehension and other reading strategies rather than phonemic awarenss.

I was thinking of structuring the hour-long reading program like the Daily Five and have some File Folder Activities and Word Sorts to use with the Daily Five. I will do guided reading groups when they are with me and regularly assess the students. I am thinking of using the Qualitative Reading Inventory (QRI-4) that I used in college to assess students. I am also considering leveling my books using Lexile scores. Is there any better system that others have used?

Also I have an entire wall with multiple empty bulletin board spaces that I can decorate and I'm trying to decide what to put! Last year the teacher did Attendance-opoly to encourage regular attendance since it is a before-school program that is not mandatory to attend but only kids who have enrolled may attend. The teacher also had a word wall. I am definitely interested in having a word wall with detachable words that students can pull off and use for reference when writing. I am not sure about the attendance-opoly thing since I have never done something like that. Kids would roll the dice and move their names on the bulletin board on Fridays if they attended three or more days that week. The could either end up getting a price or answering some sort of brain teaser. What do you guys think? Also, what else can I put on the wall/bulletin boards???

Has anyone else used anything else besides lexile scores and genres to organize their books?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions for structuring an hour long reading program or any other ideas for free tests I could use to assess students on their reading levels and skills?

Thank you for any advice you have!!!
backstrk is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsh0724

I have some ideas...
Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi. Congratulations on the job! Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you I just left a reading teacher position in order to teach first grade. I have many ideas for you and would be happy to share. I can't PM because I am too new, but if you have questions please post and I will try to check back tomorrow evening.

Just a few quick thoughts...

1. Organie books using the Fountas and Pinnell Guided Reading Levels -they are so popular and there are so many books out there already leveled for you.
2. Bulletin Board Idea: Something with Comprehension, maybe the key areas (questioning, visulizing, etc.); definitely a word wall, something fun based on a favorite book or a place where students can put up their own reviews.
3. I think Daily 5(or daily 2-3) would be best for you in order to accomodate the many needs and levels. the only downfall is that it takes ALOT of modeling and time to setup, not sure you are able to devote that might time to it, but if you can it will be very worthwhile
4. Assessments: I would assess using the Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Kit if you have one available. It's very comprehensive and can give you so much information, plus it will help you allign your students to the book levels. I'm not familiar with the QRI, but if it's like the BRI-it may be too time consuming. The F&P kit is time consuming too just not as much.
-You should also use the Words Their Way Spelling Inventory. This can help you determine the types of sorts students can work on during Word Work and it is another assessment method for you in terms of spelling stage development.
-Once you have reading levels determined and books to match those levels, you can use running records to assess your students as frequently as needed. You could adjust their books choices at that time. You could create a graph in word or excel to track their improvement.
5. Comprehension- There is a great site I found hyears ago called "Into the Book." I haven;t used it in a long time since I've been working primarily with young students. If you do a google search it should come up. If it's there then it could be a great way to incorporate technology into your instruction and student activities.

Sorry my battery is about to die, but I will post more if something comes to me. if you have questions please post and I'll try to answer tomorrow. Night!
mrsh0724 is offline   Reply With Quote