Help

New Teachers

observation :/

>

summerwaves

observation :/
Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Guess I need some words of encouragement.
First year in first grade and Im trying so hard to get it all done.
I'm sure all of you can understand.
I just found out I have my first observation this week. I feel like the supervisor doesn't like me and looks to find every little thing wrong.
I'm hoping my best bet is not to stray too far from the teachers manual and hope that the students are well behaved.
It seems like my students do the right thing almost always except when this supervisor seems to be around and takes notice.
Wish me luck.

summerwaves is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherhere1

good luck
Old 11-28-2011, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Bribe the kiddos too!!! You will do great!!!
teacherhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Second the bribe...
Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I second the bribe! I teach 5th and when I had my 1st observation this year, I told my students that the principal was coming to watch them. They totally bought it! I'm sure your firsties will too. It scared my fifths crapless and they were so well behaved! HAHA! I bribed them with our classroom economy, too!

I know observations are nerve racking. Just know that you are trying your best and this is your first one. I've learned to frame everything in a positive light. If I am given a "criticism", I use it as an opportunity to grow, not as an event to hurt my feelings. It's hard, but it has help me deal with a lot of crap in my life (and I have had a lot!). I have also learned to ask my principal for feedback. When I have a problem or am struggling with something, I talk to my principal and we reflect on it together and brainstorm solutions/advice. Maybe that's a little needy, but it has helped establish relationship with my principal. If he ever comes to me with suggestions, because of that relationship, I know it is in my best interest. Also, I feel like if I am communicating with him on a regular basis, when observations and walk throughs do come around, he knows what to look for, what I am working on, etc.

Good luck! You will do great!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote