Help

New Teachers

Admin concerns over low 'benchmark' scores

>

PA2VA

Admin concerns over low 'benchmark' scores
Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new 3rd grade teacher in test crazed VA. My team has two veteran LA teachers and they admit they teach to the test. Me-I am not comfortable with this but I do not have much choice. We recently took another benchmark (summative assessment) of the 2nd quarter. My scores were lower than my previous ones and low than the other teachers. It was hard enough to deal with-feel like a failure But my principal and vp want to meet with me Monday to discuss scores and what/how I am remediating. I have some very (VERY!) low students who have made progress. (Ex One student was reading at a PrePrimer 2 level and is now at a mid-1st grade level. While he is still struggling and very low he has made progress). I am seriously getting afraid I might be let go if my students do not pass the big SOLs in the spring OR I will be stuck teaching to the test forever. No one in my building wants 3rd grade and who can blame them?? I need some advice on how I can go into my meeting (my data is ready feeling confident. I know I will be emotional and I want to keep it professional. (I am not a big sap but talking to my team members-they know what is going on with meeting/scores-I get emotional and teary!)

PA2VA is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just some things to think about. I don't know if they fit your situation or not from your post.

Have you been concentrating so much on bringing your low kids up that the rest of the class is suffering? Certainly present your data on your low kids progress (Yay!), but be prepared with a plan to get the rest of the class back into the action. IE, this is what I have been doing, this is what I want to do in order to get students from here to there. Try not to look at the meeting as your failure (whether it is or not) but as a way to meet the needs of the students and the test. Your admin would be remiss to not discuss this and ensure you are doing all that you can.

It isn't easy being a teacher, and the first years are the toughest. I am sure you are doing a great job. Don't let the test get you down.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

ColoradoTeach

Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hate testing!! Hate, hate, hate it!!! Is there any kind of test prep that your teammates do that they think works well that you could do? I know that teaching to the test is horrible, but kids have to have some kind of practice if they are going to pass those dang things. I also bribe them..a lot...because they always do much better when they care about their scores. Otherwise there is no buy in and they don't care. Could you bring data to the meeting that shows growth of your students, you can show where each kid started and where each grew to. YOu may just have the lower kiddoes. Sorry you are dealing with this. I hate what education has come to with all this testing.
ColoradoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

OmiM

Testing
Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I totally agree with ColoradoTeach's reply.
OmiM is offline   Reply With Quote

PA2VA

thanks!!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Working on my plan today and sorting through data. Thanks for you advice!

PA2VA is offline   Reply With Quote