New Teachers

Currently heading into my 2nd month of teaching

>

JudithJ

Currently heading into my 2nd month of teaching
Old 12-29-2011, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,

I've been searching for a forum of teachers like this one and after reading a lot of the posts I'm happy to be a member! There's so much advise on this site, and I was hoping to receive some, if that's okay. I just started teaching this month actually, heading into my 2nd month of teaching. And I feel guilty saying this, but I'm not sure if I love it. In the beginning I definitely felt overwhelmed, like I wasn't cut out for this job, that I wasn't good enough. Though those thoughts creep up everyone once in a while, they are not as heavy as they were my first week. I'm pretty hard on myself, which is where the problem is. But during my first week I cried and vented so much about the fact that I didn't want to deal with everything that comes from teaching, I just felt sooo overwhelmed. There are times I don't know exactly what to teach even with the schools curriculum! I'm stumped but somehow I find my way and I'm taking it day by day. So, how was your first year experience? Can anyone relate? Thanks so much!

JudithJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

I can definitely relate in someways!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been struggling with pacing units. My team members have done this for so long,they give me their lessons and units, but they are so dry! I like the more hands-on stuff. It's hard though because if I take too long, we won't finish the stuff we need to. They have basically been telling me what comes next, etc. It is getting better because now I am getting more confident and feel I don't have to rely on them AS MUCH (I still do since they are experts, just not as much). Also, my principal keeps reminding me that it's 5th grade...if I don't cover everything in the science and social studies curriculum in particular, he's like, it's no big deal...they are going to get it again.

Here is some advice/support/words of encouragement.

1. Find a mentor (at your grade level if possible). They can help you know WHAT to teach, give you classroom management advice, help you, etc. My team members help me with things at my grade level. My mentor teaches a different grade, and she helps me with everything else. She has given me great advice about documentation, record keeping, and has been a great sounding board whenever I am frustrated. If you are still confused about what to teach, ask your principal...do what he or she says...then if you get "in trouble" you can "blame" them (I say that jokingly...my principal and I have a good relationship!)

2. Befriend your principal. Seriously. The day my principal gave me a tour of the building, we sat down for about 30 minutes to just talk some more. He told me his biggest expectation of his teachers was to come to him whenever there is a problem. He told me that he would not think I wasn't doing my job. He'd think I was doing my job, since I was concerned enough to ask for help. He has given me such good advice. I feel really good talking to him. Yes, I have had to admit failures, but his reaction helps me see it's not the end of the world. He always reminds me that I am a first year teacher and that I will keep improving. He shrugs off many of my mistakes as no big deal, which helps put things into perspective because yes I am very hard on myself. He gives me suggestions, but reminds me that he has been in education longer than I have. He has also told me that I am doing better as a first year teacher than he was, which makes me feel more confident!

3. Continue taking it day by day and again, remember you are a first year teacher...it will get better, I promise!

4. I wouldn't make a decision about your career until you have been at it at least 2 years. The 1st year is always the toughest. Next year won't be as bad. When you student taught, did you feel this way?

5. Try to focus on the good things. Keep a journal of all the funny/happy times you have with your kiddos. That will get your mood up.

6. Take time for yourself. I have found that when I take time for myself, I am a much better teacher. I admit, there have been a few days where haven't focused on school work as much as I should , BUT I have found that in a lot of ways, it makes me a better teacher because I am in a better mood, more relaxed, happier, etc.

7. Keep posting and keep asking people for advice!

You can do it! You were hired for a reason. You would not have been hired if they didn't think your heart was in it!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You sound normal. The first year, especially the first few months, are a killer for just about everyone.

My best advice is to hang in there, because it does get easier. Do what you are doing and take things day by day. Don't expect perfection, and do try to find moments in the day where you are enjoying the kids.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

JudithJ

Thank you so much!! and sorry for late reply
Old 01-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

#Teacherbee 4
I'm sorry for the late reply I havent had much time to sport outside of research for planning haha. But I read you're post at the right time. Today wasn't such a good day, and and really felt like quitting today. I cried in my classroom (no one so me!!! I was alone thank god!) just out of all the frustration, not feeling cut out for this job, the kids, the work everything. I was coming down on myself really hard. And reading got my eyes watering!
I sooo appreciate you sharing with me your experience, and that's wonderful you have such an awesome relationship with your principal. I thankfully am building an awesome one with mine as well! She's very supportive and understands the headaches of first year teaching. She told me that all your first year teaching is is preparation for next year. That comforted me a bit. I finally have a mentor though I don't get to sit and talk with her as much as I'd like to. But she's great and all the teachers are fantastic in helping me! I keep trying to focus on the good things, when the kids make me life or they apply a lesson we learned a week ago to what we're doing at the very moment. But the negative thoughts still come up at the end of the day and I'm still trying to figure out why. But I'm trying and always remembering to do take that time out for myself.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, again I'm sorry for the late response, but Thank you
How long have you been teaching? When did you find yourself getting out the first year blues I guess?

JudithJ

Thank you!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you, I appreciate your response, and soo sorry for the late response. Taking things day by day seems to be how I'm surviving right now!