Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Parent/teacher conferences

>

Sue W.

Parent/teacher conferences
Old 10-14-2005, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you work parent/teacher conferences in your school? Here the regular classroom teachers are scheduled and a note is sent to "stop by" the Title I room after the family's scheduled conferences are over. Last night I had 4 wonderful conferences, concerned, supportive families, glad that their children were getting help. The down side is that 11 of my students had been scheduled!

Sue W. is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

I used to schedule
Old 10-15-2005, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I get the same amount of time as the classroom teachers, and while they have 25 conferences to schedule, I have over 50. I used to send home notes requesting they set up a scheduled time and I worked around all their other conferences if I could. It was expected that I also meet with every parent. It was a nightmare, I'd have many no-shows, a few who would reply that no conference would happen, some who asked only for a telephone conference but then would be hard to reach by phone.

This year I asked if I could simply offer open house-type hours, just stop by before or after your other conferences, and principal agreed. She also suggested, though, that I try to sit in on the conferences with the classroom teacher for the ones I am really concerned about. That way parent gets double whammy about services offered that they may not be using, like after school tutoring.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

I'e done conferences both ways...
Old 10-15-2005, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but the last few years I have let parents know I'm available during the regular school day for conferences and that they can stop in for a visit before or after their conference with the classroom teachers. If they want to set up a specific time for a conference of course I do that. Many of our teachers stay until 8:00 p.m. on the first day of conferences so they can go home early the next day. I did that a few times but ended up being at school and parents not showing, so I'm careful about who I schedule that late. I usually stay until 5 or 6 oclock the first day of conferences, then leave at 2:30 the second day. I also try to sit in on the classroom conference if possible, but don't say too much because our teachers only have 15 minutes scheduled per student.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote