Writing & Language Arts

Help! I need persuasive writing ideas

>

Closed Thread

Makayla

Help! I need persuasive writing ideas
Old 01-01-2006, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We will be returning back to school this week. I am going to get them to write me a persuasive paragraph. Do you have any writing prompts? Thanks!

Dina

Prompts
Old 01-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What grade level? They can write to thier parents asking for a pet or a specific present for their birthday. My class did one asking for a computer as a birthday present. They came up with really good reasons for their choice. Also, they could write the principal or teacher requesting that someone in the class or school deserves getting an award. You can Google Persuasive Prompts and get many more ideas.

AmyH

topics
Old 01-01-2006, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

To get your kids started you could have them:
Take a piece of paper and write supplies, rules, fun stuff on the paper in three columns. Under each heading list three things your classroom needs. For example under rules it could be allowing gun, no line cutting.. or for Fun Stuff it could be Hat Day, a field trip, longer recess.. Then have them pick an idea to write about...

The next assignment could entail look at school needs and community needs. You could teach writing an opinion sentence and then how to gather reasons to support opinion.

Then the kids could create a persuasive poster (to entice people to come to an event -- like the PTA meeting or basketball game).

Finally give them a formal prompt like: Some people believe recess should be shorter. What do you think? Write a persuasive essay that tells whether you think school recesses should be shorter or stay the same. Five reasons for your opinion.
LL

LL

Old 01-05-2006, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just had my students write as if they were a pet, trying to convince their owner to take them to school, or to their workplace. They has a lot of fun with it!

Illinois Packer Fan

persuasive
Old 01-15-2006, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Persuade your principal to put in a pool at your school or take the other side to convince your principal not to put in a pool. (Of course this works only if you don't have one.)

Persuade your parents to take you to your favorite restaurant.

Why does the class deserve or not deserve an extra recess.

carlton

Some websites for you...
Old 02-09-2006, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi!

I frequently refer to different websites for prompts:

http://jc-schools.net/write/prompts.html
www.sabine.k12.la.us/zes/writing/
www.wrwa.net/prompts/
http://www.centennial.k12.mn.us/rle/...ingsamples.htm
http://tusdstats.tusd.k12.az.us/plan...nav_frame2.aps

I also give them situations they might be interested in (and passionate about). Our school is a uniform-wearing school, and my students wrote a persuasive essay on why/why not for uniforms. They also wrote a persuasive essay about why they should be able to take a field trip to an amusement park.

I hope this helps!
TFrog

TFrog

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
Old 02-20-2006, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I read my students this story and then had them write whether or not the wolf was innocent. We discussed what makes a good arguement. After they wrote their ideas, they presented them to the class and the class got to vote whether or not they had a good arguement.

ReneeKhanina

ReneeKhanina

P.s.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi, this is Renee again. On this site, I have noticed many great suggestions for my class to write about. But this is a sixth grade class and most of this stuff they may have written about in their past years. So can anyone please help? If so, please type a reply starting with my name, Renee. Thank you!