Writing & Language Arts

3rd grade guided reading

>

preid

preid

3rd grade guided reading
Old 11-28-2005, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I am a new teacher and I need help implimenting guided reading into my week. My entire school is just implimenting guided reading, so there aren't many people I can ask for help at my school.

Last edited by Editor; 11-12-2011 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: removed email address

fun_friend

hey preid!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a GA teacher too! I hope your definition of guided reading is the same as mine. I think it means the students read along while you or a tape reads orally. It's a great way to teach a novel. I teach 6th grade myself and am currently teaching The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe to my classes using a CD of the book, mostly, so the kids just read along. Only a few kids refuse to read along--the harder cases. Kids experience a model for how fluent reading sounds. Unknown words are pronounced for them.

Your grade level is so different from mine as your readers are still learning decoding and HOW to read. My kids supposedly have mastered HOW to read and are supposedly learning how to use reading to go deeper. I bet if you shop scholastic catalogs, you'll find some great resources: collections of graphic organizers, collections of short passages to use for various purposes, reader's theatre (a great way to build fluency), poetry (also great for fluency). I have learned so much from my association with Scholastic! Maybe you can get a class set of novels to use for guided reading. I have students respond to their reading by journaling, completing graphic organizers, summarizing, vocabulary activities including games and quizzes.

Lots of luck!
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Jeanette

Jeanette

Guided Reading
Old 11-30-2005, 11:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Preid, How did you go with implimenting Guided Reading in your classroom.
Guided reading involves the teacher working with an individual or small group of students using a text at their instructional reading level. The purpose of guided reading is to enable the teacher to support and guide the students as they work to read the text, solve any words they don't know, and focus on the text's meaning. Guided reading involves working in small groups 20-30mins focusing on a particular text at the students level and involving writing activities to support their reading.

Use the text to develop
codebreaker, text-participant, text-user, and text-anyalyst roles and assess students' reading level.

Have you heard of balanced literacy? which is apart of your daily routine and incorporating Guided reading.

Hope this helps?

Jeanette
MrsT

MrsT

Guided Reading
Old 01-18-2006, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a 3rd grade teacher and have been teaching guided reading for 10 years now. Guided reading as I know it is taking a leveled group, where each child has their own copy of the book and using reading strategies to help them improve their reading level. I do a running record on each child which allows me to assess what reading level they are on. I have 4 groups. Below, on, advance, ell. I take all 4 groups everyday. When I call my first group the others are in centers. I work with the group I have so let's say we are working on main idea. Each child reads to themselves until I tap them. when I tap them they read a little louder so I can hear their reading. this tests for fluency, etc. Before this when I did a read aloud to the entire class I would have gone over main idea in a mini lesson. Now I have that group go off together and create some kind of graphic organizer showing the main idea. Then I call my next group and we do the same thing but of course the books are now leveled for them. I continue to do this until I have my last group and no one is left in centers. When we are done we meet and share what we did that day in our groups.
Mrs. H.

Mrs. H.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are there books you would recommend for me to read to learn how to implement guided reading in my classroom? How do you determine what level your groups will read at?

FKS

FKS

Leveled text in guided reading
Old 09-15-2006, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If your school uses Developmental Reading Assessments (DRAs), those can be used to determine what level the student is reading at and what books are appropriate, particularly if your school has a library of leveled books.

If you don't use either the DRA or a leveled library you can try a running record. Just choose a text that you think is appropriate for their level. Then choose a section of about 100 words to have them read aloud. After the student reads it you can figure out their accuracy rate. Usually about 90-94% accuracy means that it is just right, below that it will be too difficult for them, and above that might be too easy depending on the type of text. Hope this helps!
valgirl

valgirl

Question
Old 09-09-2007, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How long do you spend in your GR groups and how long is your LArts block? Where do you get your leveled books and how do you select them?

wittygirl111

Teaching Reading in a 3rd grade class?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hey everyone,
I'm a 3rd grade teacher still pretty new to teaching. Our grade level uses students reading books along with the (teacher basal) to read the whole group story. We also use them for targeted skills. We have nonfiction leveled readers, not sure why. I feel its pointless doing those readers because they can be difficult for the students. I want to know how you do guided reading groups with each level. Also, I want to know how you teach reading. With the alotted time we have to teach reading, I feel I don't really get to some of my students academically. I feel I'm just trying to get through with it. I guess because its boring using the textbook and worksheets. I hope this isn't too confusing . I'm just looking for some help so I can better equip my students with reading. Thanks for your time.
The confused one~
wittygirl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
dhose

dhose

Guided Reading
Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hello,
I'm a third grade teacher and also am trying to incorporate Guided Reading into my classroom. I'm curious as to where you are getting your strategies to teach everyday. Are you using a reading series like Scott Foresman or other books?
Thanks,
Deann Hose
dabren

dabren

Old 03-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been doing guided reading for three years and I feel like I am just starting to understand how to properly do it.

There a tons of guided reading books out there. I think the best are from Fountas and Pinnel. They are the gods of guided reading. That would probably be the best place to start. :>

CES

CES

Guided Reading
Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The "Bible" for Guided Reading is the book "Guided Reading: Good First Teaching for All Children" by Gay Su Pinnell and Irene C. Fountas. Also, while you meet with your small groups, you'll need literacy centers that your other students will require. An excellent book for this is "Literacy Work Stations: Making Centers Work" by Debbie Diller.
Pylla

Pylla

guided reading
Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Glad to hear your asking for help. Guided reading is not as hard as it sounds. First, you have to start with finding the right instructional reading level of your students. Having them read a leveled text (Fountas and Pinnell's leveling system is best in my opinion) determines their instructional reading level. You complete a running record or record of oral reading. Reading A-Z.com also has resources to use that are leveled. For more info. on levels of text, read Fountas and Pinnell's Guided Reading, Good First Teaching. Once you determine students' levels, you can form groups of 4-6 students reading at the same level. Students then know exactly what levels they should be using for their independent practice, which will help them grow faster.

Then, you have to find multiple copies of the leveled text to start. A balance of fiction and non-fiction is suggested, because readers use different strategies/skills for each type of text. If you don't have leveled text, you can use your basal story. Although, keep in mind, that not everyone in the class will be reading at that instructional level, so modifications may have to be made. Those students will still benefit, because of the small group instruction.

Before Reading:
Build background knowledge, purpose for reading, make predictions,
vocabulary intro, etc.

During Reading:
I usually started the first page or two, to model. I remind students of what to do when they have trouble or come to a road block:
re-read
think about what makes sense
think about what the story is about
use picture clues/context clues
skip, keep reading, and come back
etc.

Then students begin reading silently to a pre-determined stopping point. They can read aloud quietly not to interrupt each other. I listen to their reading and how observe their reading behaviors. Once they read the passage or part, we stop and check for comprehension, check predictions, point out any "road blocks" and how to solve them. (teachable moments-mini lessons). Assist and support through guided instruction while they read independently. Then we make more predictions and read another section. Continue this process with the rest of the book. Sticky notes were great to mark the pages to stop at. They can also write key words on the sticky notes, or questions they have, or words they didn't know.

You may or may not finish a text in one setting. A typical guided reading lesson lasts 15-20 min. A book may continue for a couple of days. They can be extended with writing response activities or graphic organizers and retellings to partners.

The teacher's role is to support or scaffold their reading while guiding them how to construct meaning from text.

The hardest part, is managing the rest of the class. The other students should be engaged in meaningful literacy building work centers such as:
Independent Reading/Responding Activities
Writing Activities: letters, messages, listing, creative writing, real-life writing, etc
Word Work: practice phonics/spelling/high frequency words activities

Classroom management is a critical component in managing a successful guided reading group time.

Hope this helps. Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell are pioneers in guided reading instruction. I strongly suggest you invest in their Guided Reading Book and their leveled text resources.
albert7

albert7

grades for reading
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've worked at teaching guided reading for 3 years now and don't feel I've been very effective. I have Fountas and Pinnell and that book is way too confusing to me. One question I have for you, what do you use to get a reading grade? We have to have a test grade and classwork grade once a week for reading. I feel like some of the things i grade are subjective.
RDE Racer

RDE Racer

Engaging other students
Old 10-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I found your post very helpful and I strive to run my small groups that way. My main question is...How do you keep the other kids engaged while you are pulling your groups? Do they know not to approach you during the time that you are with a group?

What kind of centers do you have? Are the cross curricular, or reading only? Please let me know...I am desperate.

Thanks,
Jen
hannahf

hannahf

guided reading
Old 10-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I love teaching guided reading. It is actually my favorite part of the day! The hardest part for me was finding the perfect level...so it's not that hard!

Typically for centers, my students know that unless they have an emergencies, are bleeding, or someone is abusing center time, not to come to me. They use the rule, "ask three before me". In third grade, typically if they don't have the answer by then, I know I've not done the best job explaining and we stop to take a quick break and relearn our directions. I typically choose centers that are fun, use high level thinking, and are challenging. This helps them stay focused and working rather than socializing. I spent the first three weeks of school introducing centers. Three weeks----everyday, even day one!

This helps them really learn the rules an ropes...no excuses for poor behavior etc.. I run a tight ship! However, my kiddos LOVE this time of day! They love knowing that they will have centers everyday. I have several different areas that I use. So, if a student wants to lay on their belly and complete a worksheet that went along with our story, so be it! It makes it fun for them and productive for us all.

One thing I am sure to do...which many in my building do not do... I take grades! I tell them I will randomly choose a few centers to grade each week. It's a surprise which I grade, so make sure you do your best work! Typically, they can figure out which I grade, but it gives them an incentive to work extra hard (I have a reward box thing I do every Friday with papers that receive an 80% or higher).

Last edited by Editor; 10-23-2011 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: removed weblink
rosieosie

rosieosie

The other centers ...
Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

hannahf, I really like the way you select what to grade! I'm burning myself out trying to do everything, so I will definitely do this. I'm just curious about what exactly your kids are doing in their centers? I'm a novice teacher and I'm struggling to come up with meaningful word work. I have some great ideas for writing during this time, and of course the children will do some reading independently. I tried partner read with them ... bad idea. Though I've modeled it over and over, and had the kids role play to practice, I feel like it's just not going to turn around.

vttraveler

Daily 5
Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am using some Guided Reading groups throughout the year. I took a class this summer at Leslie University (Yes, Fountas and Pinnell are the gurus.) We have very small class sizes, so I don't want to abandon our whole class novels. I worry about the stigmas of only usingg ability grouping. We had already bought the DRA 2, so we're assessing with that.

Thanks to this site, I discovered The Daily 5. I introduced it to K-5, and we are now all using components of that. I am loving how ontask my students are during Independent Reading time. They love being able to choose Read to Self, Listen to Reading, Read to Someone, and Write about Reading. (I don't do Word Work, as our spelling program does that.)

If I were doing Guided Reading wholeheartedly, I would definitely use The Daily 5 instead of Centers. It's so practical and involves set up of the initial procedures, but no planning of stations.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
HHummel

HHummel

LovetoLearn
Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I was just reading your post and am in the same boat. I have been doing a ton of research on third grade centers and found an amazing web site through Florida University. I ended up copying about 300 pages of all these incredible games, ideas and centers for 2/3 grade level vocab, phonemic awareness, phonics, writing and comprehension. go to http://www.fcrr.org/curriculum/Stude...ivities23.shtm (it has instructions and print out and the works) speaking of word, it will take time but I find it very useful

mboro

Guided reading
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

To those of you who are faithfully teaching guided reading, please give me an example of what you are teaching during whole group instruction.
I didn't do guided reading this past year and really missed my small groups. It is my goal for 2012-2013 to bring back the small groups and raise test scores.

Last edited by mboro; 05-30-2012 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add more information.
mboro is offline   Reply With Quote

PST170

Guided Reading
Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I would agree with an earlier post. The best place for center/guided reading ideas is the Florida Center for Reading Research. They have everything!!! They give a great overview of guided reading too. I just finished a class with a woman who worked on many of the assessments for the Florida website. She also strongly recommened using DIBELS (which we use in our school) as a way to level students. This is a screener and can help you determine groups and which students are at high risk. It is FREE and pretty easy to give. GOOD LUCK!!

For those of you using centers how do you manage the noise level? I currently do not use centers during guided reading - students work on independent activities silently - but I would like to try them. My only concern is noise while I'm trying to teach. Any suggestions?
PST170 is offline   Reply With Quote
HeatherH

HeatherH

Examples please
Old 05-06-2017, 01:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Can you give examples of what your centers look like during guided reading?? May be teaching 3rd grade next year and want to get my brain around it. Currently teach 1st.