Creative Writing

>

Alecia Rahmin

Alecia Rahmin

Creative Writing
Old 10-02-2005, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I'm a fifth grade teacher and my students are having a problem with creative writing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to help them to become better writers? Also do you have any good topics or know of any good websites where I can find some good topics?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alecia

DJ/SC

Alternative Endings
Old 10-02-2005, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've seen some neat things done with alternative endings to established books. (This also emphasizes to the kids that great writers READ a lot themselves!:-)
1. Use some titles your kids are familiar with and ask them "what if ?" questions. Let them brainstorm about how a story could have ended and put it on paper.
2. Another variation is to write a sequel to a story. This may be an advanced lesson, but some students may be ready for it.
3. Another idea is to brainstorm parts of speech onto the board in separate columns. Let each child choose a noun and a verb and an adjective. They then create a sentence (no matter how silly) and write a story about it.
4. Write the beginning of an intriguing sentence, then let them finish it with a story all their own. "The door opened and in walked..." "The child ran across the room towards his mother..." "The young woman stepped out of the taxi to begin her new life as a ..."
5. You can also borrow prints from your art teacher that have a lot of people interacting and use those as writing prompts either descriptively or for story-starters. (This satisfies interdisciplinary standards for your admin, too!)
~Happy Writing!

Last edited by DJ/SC; 10-02-2005 at 06:55 PM..
DJ/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
melissat

melissat

Old 10-03-2005, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i'm doing field work in a pittsburgh public school. the students in 5th grade are learning figurative language to get them to write more interesting creative stories. discuss one type of figurative language each week, have them work on it and friday write a story. if the topics are student chosen the may be more enthusiastic about writing and have more to say
Melissat

Melissat

Creative Writing
Old 10-06-2005, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the advice. Do you know of any good websites for bulletin boards ideas.

Alecia
DJ/SC's

DJ/SC's

Creative Writing
Old 10-06-2005, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the advice you have really given me a lot of ideas to choose from. Do you know of any good websites for bulletin board ideas?

Alecia

Tere

Tere

15 Min. Write
Old 10-23-2005, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have found that my students have enjoyed a quick 15 min. write about once a week. I was impressed by the amout of writing and the creativity they are able to muster. I do have some rules.

1. They must keep writing even if they write, "I can't think of anything," the whole 15 mins.
2. They can make up the story, lie or use someone else experience but nothing from the popular culture.
3. Spelling and Grammar help but won't be checked. What I look for is creativity.
4. Everybody turns in a paper.
5. The topic is only one word that is kept secret until the timer starts: a word such as shoe, gum, orange, pencil etc.

Because the writings are about one page long I'm able to read them quickly and read aloud those that make me laugh or are the most creative. I NEVER disclose the writers name but the students can usually guess who's writing it is.

Have Fun!