Writing & Language Arts

four square

>

Chloe

Chloe

four square
Old 10-01-2005, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone used four square writing? I'd like to start and am looking for suggestions. thanks

psc

tips
Old 10-02-2005, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

4 Square is a great organizer! This is my 2nd year using it. Last year I used it just as the book prescribed. My kids' writing test scores were sky high (and believe you me, they were not a particularly gifted group).

This year, I'm using 4 Square as a prewriting tool for teaching the skill of paragraph writing for expository text. But, I'm laying off the use of it for narrative writing because it limits the children's creative license. I want them to be dramatic and have fun with their writing.

So far, this has seemed to work well. After a couple of expository pieces, my kids are now writing a narrative piece that includes dialogue. We didn't use a 4 square for it, but they understand that they need an introduction, body, and conclusion.
psc is offline   Reply With Quote

cris

my class uses 4-square
Old 10-05-2005, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

my students love using the 4-square model. it really helps with organization, but my kids, much like psc's, seem to have their creativity limited. i've noticed their writing is more focused with 4-square. it's especially good for organizing persuasive writing.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Teach123

Teach123

4-Square
Old 11-08-2005, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a first grade teacher and would love to use 4-sqaure with my kids. Do you think they are too young and not ready? How can I use this with first grade?

fun_friend

modified 4-square
Old 11-14-2005, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am not trained in the 4-square method but I use a modified version of what I think y'all are talking about. It is a good way to prewrite. The same approach can be used for many other activities like vocabulary study.

Take a piece of paper and fold it into fourths. Fold over the corner where all the folds meet (the center of the paper). When you unfold you have four blocks and a diamond in the middle. You can put a topic sentence in the middle and supporting details in the 4 corner chambers.

You can put a vocabulary word in the center. In one corner you can put the definition, in another you can put a synonym, in another you can put sentence using the word in context, in the final corner, you can put an illustration of the word...or whatever.

You can use this foldy for note-taking too. This is a very versatile foldy (a riff on the "Frayer Model")!

fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
MelissaB

MelissaB

teacher of the handicapped
Old 11-15-2005, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't thin your students are to young. Start them out putting a picture in each box, then label the pictures, then move to simple sentences, etc. It works great!!!

Mrs. M

Four Square for First Graders
Old 11-16-2005, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Your children are definitely not too young. I teach first grade. I started the year introducing the four square and why we use it, etc. Then we moved onto the simple cut and paste activities that the book includes (topic is pets, they find the pictures of the pets and glue in the squares). Then we moved on to simple sentences and we have already written three different paragraphs. We just finished one with the four square about the things we are thankful for. They really understand what they need in a paragraph with the help of the four square. Good luck!
Mrs. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Bambi Eyes

Bambi Eyes

4 square
Old 11-19-2005, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have used the 4 Square method for four years now (two in 2nd grade and two in 1st). Our K teachers use it too. I think the sooner the students are introduced to it, the better the results are. I especially like that it is already differentiated for all levels. I have some 1st graders who are still drawing one picture in each box and others who are writing 2 and 3 sentences in each square.
I have really found that their writing is a lot more focused, which has previously been a struggle.
MM

MM

folding paper
Old 11-20-2005, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

WOW!! I love this idea of folding the paper. I teach antsy six graders and they loved this! They love any kinds of hands on activities. Thanks for sharing

fun_friend

Mm
Old 11-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Is that you Mary? I hope so because I've missed reading your posts since this board "revamped."

fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
anon teacher

anon teacher

4 square is great for gathering ideas
Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

4 suare is great because have the kids do that first then put it into an essay or story
Teacherme

Teacherme

favorite teacher posts
Old 02-11-2006, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think Mary is on the post basic writing sentence fragment. That post is a roller coaster ride when you read it! It's great!

fringe

Four Squares
Old 10-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Can you explain how you used the four corner method in your class? This is the first I'm hearing about it. It sounds like something I could use in my class. Where did you hear of this method? Is there a book that teaches this model?
fringe is offline   Reply With Quote
MVS

MVS

Four Square
Old 10-14-2006, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

This is my first year teaching first grade, and I'm going to be observed, a friend told me I should use the 4 square method and teach writing. I was thinking of having them write Pets in the center, coming up with 3 pets as a class and all writing about the same 3 pets, just writing 1 sentence about each pet and then I was told the fourth box is for a feeling like "I like pets." or "Pets make me happy." After filling out the 4 square paper I was going to have them write it on lined writing paper. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct way to do it, or is there anything else I should do to add to this lesson?
Thanks
lchernoh

lchernoh

Homeschooler
Old 11-09-2006, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

just remember that in 4 square you have 4 squares, 3 are for your reason, details and vivid words to make it clear, and the fourth is for your concluding or wrap up sentence or paragraph. Remember connecting words to connect all 4 squares (first, then, next, also, etc.) and you can use this method to teach order of events also.

TeacherCarrie

Old 11-09-2006, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm a 2nd year teacher and teach 4th grade. I just started using the 4 Square model book about 2 weeks ago. The first week, we actually had a district writing test. I decided, what the hey, I'll have them use the plan for this test. My scores were higher and the writing was actually good! Many of the stories written out made sense and flowed well. I actually had students indenting, showing more than one paragraph, etc.

I started on this b/c it was talked about in my Master's class and decided to go for it. My kids this year have major issues taking their web or other plan and putting it into sentences and paragraphs. I even did a type of question answer thing with them and this was the biggest response I got on what they were having the most trouble with.

So, far I am still seeing results. There are several kids still struggling with it, but that's normal in all situations. I'm hoping the more and more I do it, the better all of them will get.

Oh, and I have fun with it...so do the kids! We all look forward to writer's workshop each day now.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Hhsdjfhd

Hhsdjfhd

Cool
Old 01-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Cool, So do my kids!
ase

ase

4 square writing
Old 01-12-2007, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I will be training my k-3 staff next week.
Jira

Jira

4 square
Old 02-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I find the four square is also useful in creating sensory poems for students. Each quadrant can be used for he senses, hear, sight, etc.

The method I used was to give the students a fruit and have them write how the fruit taste, smells, feels etc. then choose a concrete object to compare for creating a similie or metaphor.

The four square is helpful in allowing students to compartmentalize the experience, for use in details as sensory poetry.
Calamaster

Calamaster

8th grade language arts
Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am an 8th grade Language Arts teacher and randomly found the "4 square model" book at Holcomb's---I always get excited when I find things for my grade level there--Anyways--this method totally rocks---My students are writing well thought out short essays and we're able to carry it across the curriculum--I so wish I would have been the one to invent this one--I could have been rich !! I am working on a new assignment for my students now---I'm wanting them to compare/contrast the protagonist of two different stories--I'm thinking I might need to have them do two separate 4 square's -- one to compare and one to contrast to make sure they include enough details to write about....Anyone have any ideas out there?
Valeire

Valeire

What are you supposed to do in the...?
Old 10-08-2007, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

What are you supposed to put in the fourth square of the 4-square model.
etuesday

etuesday

4-square steps
Old 10-21-2007, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

The best thing to do, honestly, is to go buy the book, because it really helps you teach your kids in a step-by-step way, and has lots of reproducibles and examples and stuff like that. Here is the most basic format: In the middle, you put the main idea, like Fruit. Then in boxes two, three, and four, you put supporting details, like Grapes, Oranges, and Bananas. In the last box you put the wrap-up sentence, which for this example would be Grapes, oranges, and bananas are fruit. Go by the book, it's worth the $12.95!!! It's changing the way I teach my 7th graders.

phoard

Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

wow, never heard of four square writing, sounds interesting
phoard is offline   Reply With Quote
ilee

ilee

me too
Old 11-18-2008, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

yeah do you know what you can do for a four square thankful your commuinty i dont know what to say