Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Title I in middle schools?

>

Susan/IN

Title I in middle schools?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you work with students in the middle school? Every few years it comes up in our district that perhaps we should have a program at the middle school level, but most administrators (and those of us who teach Title I) have felt that we could serve our primary students more effectively. However, our middle school test scores continue to drop and I'm sure there will be more talk of putting our Title I program in our middle school. I'm just wondering how that might work.

Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Old 10-31-2005, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Susan. Our school had a half-time 6th grade Title I Reading person who was also half-time 6th grade Language Arts. That was the last position created, and when budget cuts happened, it was the first to go. We currently serve up to 5th grade. The high school principal has spoken to me casually about concerns she has with high school students not able to read well. In my opinion, after elementary school, it seems that Title I reading should become an after school or summer school program, although that's when sports start to take up the after-school hours.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

I agree...
Old 10-31-2005, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's good to hear from you Mrs. M. I hadn't seen many of your posts lately. Then again, I haven't had much time to post myself. I agree that there definitely is a problem with middle/high school kids not being able to read the texts and also think it should be a program other than during the day, but I doubt that will ever happen, for exactly the reasons you stated, as well as jobs. I also think as teachers of reading we ALL need to rethink how we teach comprehension. Even the kids that can read the material don't know how to think about what they've read. I'm always looking for good professional books on teaching comprehension. I don't think we do enough modeling about how to THINK about a piece we are reading. Until we show kids how to do this, I think our test scores are going to continue to decline.

MrsM

my classes to blame
Old 10-31-2005, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been in a blinger (substitute swear word) of a class...research! I've had to post less and pay more attention to writing my paper.

The class this term is Supporting the Struggling Reader, so if I find any concrete ideas for comprehension other than what we already know, I'll pass them along. I'll let you know if my text is a good one.

I'm struggling with my district and the current allocation of Title I teachers. Every time I think I should meet with our new director and clue her in, I remind myself that she is totally on the ball and may come up with a plan on her own. It frustrates me that 1st grade is covered by Reading Recovery, but 2nd grade barely gets a "lick and a promise". By 3rd grade, I have a full list of 60, and that continues into 4th and 5th grades. Wouldn't an ounce of prevention in 2nd grade be what the doctor orders? Sorry, cliches seem to abound today.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Sounds like an interesting class
Old 10-31-2005, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The more I read about struggling readers the more intrigued I am. Guess that's a good thing, since that's my job. For my Reading Recovery continuing contact class last year we read Carol Lyons' book Teaching the Struggling Reader. It was interesting but kind of difficult to read at times since it's all about how the brain works. I am with a different group of teachers this year for continuing contact and our focus is on the hard to teach child. We are having to do ZPDs on our hardest to teach child as well as predictions of progress. I wish I had the time to do these on each one of my students. Keep me posted, Mrs. M. on your class and the readings.

Deborah

Deborah

Acceleration Reading and Math
Old 11-17-2005, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We serve Title I students 6-8 by targeted assistance with 55 minutes additional direct teaching class accelerating skills and content subject in math or reading.
Using learning focus, strategies that work, and more on task assignments. I am in Georgia. We are getting results.
binno

binno

Title 1 Math Grades 6-8
Old 03-23-2006, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi Deborah,

I'm starting a Title 1 Math program in August 06. Can you tell me more about your program, resources, and results?

I can be emailed at binnocen1@excite.com.

Thanks