New Teachers

First year teacher-advice needed!

>

hsteacher09

First year teacher-advice needed!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I am a new teacher this coming year. I will be teaching ninth grade English and I would like some advice on setting up my classroom, setting up and maintaining an effective classroom management plan, and should I hang my classroom "guidelines" (rules) in the classroom as well as put them on my syllabus? I am sure I will have tons more questions, but these are all I can think of for now! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

hsteacher09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Engtchr5555

Engtchr5555

A good blog to help
Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Http://teachingadvice.wordpress.com

Lots of good ideas for classroom setup, management, etc. Enjoy!

teacherman

Old 08-20-2011, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not a high school teacher, but I do post my rules and think it is a good idea, especially since your students are transitioning from junior high or elementary school, where that is common practice.

Without specifics, it is hard to give advice on setting up a classroom, but your layout should match up with how you want the class to function. If your class will be doing a lot of group work or small group discussions, then the room should be arranged as such, if you are envisioning more whole class work, then maybe the desks should be arranged in a large circle. If it will be a lot of independent work and note taking, then maybe you want the students in rows. Also make sure it is easy for you and for the students to walk around the room and make supplies easily accessible.

Setting up a management plan is a matter of trial and error. Start with your rules. I would limit myself to five rules that are general enough to cover common behaviors but specific enough so the students know what you mean. Then establish your consequences for following these rules and for breaking them. All of this should be listed in your syllabus and posted in the classroom. Finally, you have be consistent and implement the plan. If you follow your plan then you should be alright. Make sure your plan is consistent with the expectations and standards of the school and district.

My final bit of advice would be to post not only your rules and consequences, but your routines. What heading should be posted on papers, how should students turn in work, what are your academic expectations, etc.

Good luck!!!
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

:)
Old 08-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hello - I too teach 9th grade English and I LOVE it. I have my classroom set up in traditional rows (of 5 desks per row) but in the middle of the room, I leave space for an "aisle." I walk the aisle during instruction so I am among the students. Having "two sides" of the classroom is good too if you need to separate two students.

I put my classroom rules and consequences on the syallbus as well as on the wall. I review rules and procudures every day for the first week. One piece of advice for high school discipline - be consistent - always follow through with what you say so the students will take you seriously. If you tell Jane she will owe you lunch time for talking out of turn, next time she does it - follow through with the consequence.

I am very firm with what I say (this is even more important the first days of school) so the students understand the boundaries. The environment you set up at the beginning of the year sets the stage for the rest of the year. School started two weeks ago here and I have been very firm in my expectations of the students, so I have few behavioral problems. They already know what is expected.

Good luck. Feel free to message me with any questions.
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote