New Teachers

Should I go back into teaching?

>

smeggysmeg

smeggysmeg

Should I go back into teaching?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My wife and I were English teachers at a private academy in South Korea from 2009 to 2010. We really enjoyed the country, but we always planned on that being a single-year job.

Now that we've been back for a year, we're longing to return to living abroad. My concern is that I don't know if I could handle teaching again; it was just so stressful to manage a classroom.

It did get better during the last few months, but the first few were a nightmare. I also don't know if the last few only seemed better because I knew the end was near.

If we went back, we would make a career out of it - I'm just worried that I won't be able to emotionally handle it. I felt like I wasn't accomplishing anything no matter how much effort I was putting in.

My wife, generally, enjoyed it and would have no problem doing it forever. Once we go, though, I really wouldn't be able to change careers (as it's hard for a foreigner to get a non-teaching job).

How can I know if I'm well-suited to teaching? Is it normal to have feelings like this during the first year or more? When will I become comfortable with it?

vttraveler

If you have this much doubt,
Old 08-16-2011, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

it's probably not the job for you. It takes a ton of passion and commitment.

I taught overseas, and it provides its own special and unique challenges, so it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges, as I think each country, culture, and school system differs.

Some of my colleagues had nonteaching spouses with them, but it was harder for them to get work VISAS.

Not sure that I've been much help....
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

roliemli

Old 08-28-2011, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also have to say that it is very difficult to get teaching jobs right now. I'm sure it's a bit different throughout the country, but my district has had a hiring freeze for years.
roliemli is offline   Reply With Quote