Help

New Teachers

First Day--Nervous!

>

ggtchr14

First Day--Nervous!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am starting my first day tomorrow at a new school teaching a different grade level (3rd instead of 5th). It's been easy all summer to feel excited about the year and the opportunities that await, but now...with the first day being TOMORROW, I am nervous!

I do not want to be overwhelmed and anxious this year like I was last year (last year was my first full-time teaching position, I had subbed for 4 years prior to that). I don't want to get so bogged down and feel inadequate compared to all of the "veteran teachers" out there, which is what I did to myself last year. I know it's not right, and we should be gentle with ourselves, and I've been told I am such a caring and kind teacher, that I "resonate" with the kids, and a principal I had once said he saw qualities in my that he sees in 20 year veteran teachers, and that he would hire me in a heartbeat if he could. I try to tell myself these things and more that others have told me (including parents who said their child said this was their FAVORITE year of all, and they actually LOVED coming to school since they had me as their teacher, etc).

I just seemed to get myself into a slump last year of not feeling adequate, of dealing with "cliques" at my school and not really having a buddy to "pair up with," and I fear that happening again at this new school. I hope it's not the case, and I've heard very good things about the school I'm going to, but....I'm NERVOUS!!!! Thanks for listening, it helps just to get it out!

Good luck to each of you this year, and know that you are not alone! I'm so thankful for this site, it's been such a wonderful resource and also a source of great support.

ggtchr14 is offline   Reply With Quote

backstrk

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good luck on your first day with the third graders at your new school! You sound like you are a great teacher with many wonderful qualities! Don't doubt yourself! Just be friendly, be yourself, and eat in the teacher's lounge to get to know your colleagues! Maybe put a positive quote at the top of your computer screen or on the wall near your desk where you can see it every day to remind you that YOU CAN DO THIS when you feel inadequate : )

Good luck! Hope everything goes well for you!
backstrk is offline   Reply With Quote

MusicWoman

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Congratulations and good luck! Smile! I'm a little shy and not inclined to look at people in the hall, I think it comes off as unfriendly. Smile and look at them and say hello! Be confident!

How did the first day go?
MusicWoman is offline   Reply With Quote

ggtchr14

I made it!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know what you mean, I can be the same way until I really get to know people, but I DO always try to smile and say hello, even if I don't know them well. So far so good...mostly meetings yesterday and again today. I can't move into my room yet, because of construction...so that makes me a bit nervous, too. Looks like I'll be working over the weekend to get things ready, since our Open House is next week. BREATHE, right?? Thanks for the support!!
ggtchr14 is offline   Reply With Quote