Help

New Teachers

First Year Challenges

>

SU011

First Year Challenges
Old 09-30-2011, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a student intern in my third year of college- second year experience with a field placement (in a classroom). I am preparing for a year-long internship next year. I was wondering what are the biggest challenges teachers face in their first few years, and how can I prepare now to face those challenges later?

SU011 is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

classroom management
Old 09-30-2011, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was in college, they would always throw us scary stats - one of which was that up to 40% of new teachers leave the profession after the first five years. One of the biggest reasons is that they were never taught how to properly manage a class. Teachers don't leave because they don't know the content, they leave because they haven't learned the classroom management skills. At my school (a HS) we had two new teachers quit at the beginning of the year because they couldn't hack the management.

My advice to you would be to learn as much as you can during your internship about classroom management. Talk with your cooperating teacher to see her rules/procedures/consequences/. During the year, you will start to see things you can and cannot take with you to your own class. Before you begin teaching your own class, you need to develop your own management plan; the specifics will be affected by the grade level.

Many new teachers make the mistake of wanting to be friends with the students. It is not your job to be their friend. Having the students respect is more important. In the end, students do like a teacher that cares enough about them and their education to hold them accountable for their actions. Without management students can't learn, and what good student wants that?

Good luck!
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

SU011

Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! That is very insightful!
SU011 is offline   Reply With Quote