What would you do if you had extra time? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

What would you do if you had extra time?

>

prepareteach

prepareteach

What would you do if you had extra time?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm not a new teacher, actually I taught for 2 years but took some time away from teaching and now am returning. I thought I would post in the New Teacher section because essentially I need to be reminded of what I can do in advance for teaching next year. I'm currently subbing and would like to work little by little to get some stuff ready. I know you can't ever fully prepare but it would be nice to have some things done.

So what would you do if you had time to prepare before you started teaching?? What's the most important?

SpecialK06

Setup
Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I suppose what takes so much time for me was setting up the classroom. If you know ahead of time what you'll have in the room, theme, how to organize, etc it will allow you to really focus on the year's curriculum the first couple of weeks of set up. I wish I had more time for that I feel like I'm always trying to catch up.

Then again, not sure I would have ever been "prepared" until it started
SpecialK06 is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueLupine

What you can do before knowing your grade
Old 11-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm really curious about this too. I plan to work at the elementary level. I've thought about using my free time to prepare materials, but it seems like so much would depend on the grade level. Even my classroom management procedures will be influenced by the age of the students. Are there any universal things that every classroom needs that future teachers could work on?

I have been gathering books from cheap sales for the 2nd/3rd age level, thinking that my advanced k-1 or slower 4-5 might be able to use them too, and that just made me realize I could work on making things like shelves and storage bins, poster frames, and gathering extra office supplies like scissors and paperclips, but I've read that some schools even provide those...

Looking forward to hearing other ideas.
BlueLupine is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueLupine

Any more ideas?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hoping that more new teachers will share what they have done, or wish they had done, to get ready for having their own classroom, especially not knowing what grade they might be teaching.

I've written up ideas for the first few days, establishing routines and building community, prepared several iterations of ideal schedules (which of course I will have to adapt based on the actual schedule of the school, specials, etc.), prepared as much as possible the files I'll need for a substitute binder, begun collecting books, office supplies, bulletin board materials, stocked up on folders, mini white boards, dry erase markers, and composition books when they have the super sales at the beginning of the school year, and once I've cleared out some storage space I'm planning to get more things like bins for materials and books, shelves, beanbags, rugs, etc.

What else can we get ready before we get hired?
BlueLupine is offline   Reply With Quote