Help

New Teachers

Blah

>

teacherwriter

Blah
Old 11-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What a blah weekend. I have spent all of today working. Again. And I'm not done yet. Still have to plan for Monday and Tuesday and work on my web site and finish as much grading as I can manage. Then I am dreading going into work tomorrow and seeing my mentor, who has decided she's going to manage everything and fix everything while I stand there and watch. I was just picturing her working in my classroom, and I got anxious and angry all over again. I woke up this morning with resolve to make things better and try harder and gut it out because it just has to get better next year, right? But this afternoon I'm back to thinking that I have made a serious career mistake. And the thing is, everyone compliments my teaching and my lessons. The nonteaching stuff--paper management, classroom management, organizational systems (like cabinets and supplies and so on)--is where I'm getting criticized. I am seriously beginning to resent and dread this job. And I don't know what to do.

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherhere1

hugs
Old 11-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hugs to you! I can't stand teachers who think they are better than everyone else and have to save the new person. I have some of those I work with also. Does your mentor teach also? Who criticizes you? Your mentor? Because that is not his/her job!! Believe me there are schools out there where you are not treated like this. Hang in there the first year is really tough!!!
teacherhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote

JFAR

Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a first year teacher, also. I had a mentor who was really negative and always found something to complain about, but none of it had to do with my actual teaching. I was talking to a fellow teacher about it and she asked our principal if she could mentor me instead. He said, yes and it has helped me a lot to not be around all of the negativity!
JFAR is offline   Reply With Quote