Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Title I regulations

>

bobcat

Title I regulations
Old 10-06-2005, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was reteaching a lesson with my Title I students yesterday. The classroom teacher asked me if I could include 3 more students who are not Title I but needed a little extra help with the lesson. I was glad to help and it was great to have some new faces join the group. My coordinator told me this is not allowed. These children are not Title I students so I'm not allowed to work with them when I do a pull out lesson. Now, if I'm in their classroom I can work with them and call it "flexible grouping." Is this right? Where can I review the Title I regulations? I feel that as a teacher, I should be able to help others who may need a little extra practice. I wasn't planning on taking these children every day. I was just planning on helping out the classroom teacher and these kids as well. Help??

bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

State Dept. of Ed
Old 10-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are in Missouri, so am I, and I can send you the direct link but not from home, I'd have to do it tomorrow at school. Check your state department of Education website and do a search for Title I. I remember having trouble finding it, but try different keywords, like Federal Programs or something. On my state's website, it is a .pdf file and looks like a paper document that's been scanned. I remember being able to serve other children, but you must serve the identified students and it must be a lesson geared toward the needs of your identified students. The only other objection I can think of is if doing so put you with more than 10 students, that's your limit without an aide or another teacher. It seems like you and the teacher worked out something that is best for the kids, and once again, someone gets in the way of it. You might be able to do it if the situation comes up again, but without saying anything to others next time.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

identification
Old 10-06-2005, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Funny this should come up tonight; I just checked my school email from home and saw that state board of accounts wants to come out next week to review our eligibility paperwork. This had been a gray area with us a couple years ago, so I'm hoping they're just doing a follow-up. We really have tried to tighten this up. The thing that bothers me is that with our program being continually cut, we have now consolidated 3 buildings into one over the past five years. The final consolidation came this year, so it may be tricky laying our hands on certain records. I have mine, although I must confess, I'm not the most organized bookkeeper.
So we shall see. I also heard our entire district is going through a big audit...why is it that word makes you feel like you've done something unspeakable?!?
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Toto

Toto

Re:
Old 10-06-2005, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My school is Targeted Assisted(Assistance), meaning I can only work with students on my roster. This applys to pull-out times and the times I go into the classrooms. If your program is a School Wide one, it's my understanding that you can service anyone. I got that information from my supervisor at the beginning of the year during a meeting of Title l teachers from the different schools in our county.