HELP! Conservation Class Curriculum

>

amandabio

amandabio

HELP! Conservation Class Curriculum
Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I've been given a new 10-12 grade class to teach next year. Conservation. I have no idea where to begin with writing a curriculum or even what I want to teach in this class and it's all up to me. Does anyone know where I can find curriculum? Standards of some sort for teaching a conservation class?? Anything?? Help! I've found random activities and such, but I need a WHOLE idea.

Thanks!
Amanda

lisa53

Old 05-27-2015, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Look under Environmental Science...some texts/programs may be heavily tilted toward conservation.

Do you only have a title? A course description? An outline?
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sariana

Old 05-27-2015, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The Boy Scouts have an environmental science merit badge. You can buy the book for about $5 at any Boy Scout store. It might be useful as a framework for a course.

You also can visit meritbadge.org.
Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 05-27-2015, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Another question: what's the student population? Is it for any student who wants to sign up? honors students? students who need a science credit but can't or won't manage a rigorous chemistry/physics class?

Also, where are you located? Do you have access to outdoor facilities?

My dsil took a program at the local votech high school called Natural Resources. They learned some forestry, ran a maple sugar operation, built a small cabin, learned to run a chain saw, backhoe, etc.

At the other end of the spectrum is the AP Environmental Science course I teach, which is all about experimental method and ecology.

You want to meet somewhere in the middle of that, I think...An environmental science text will have a lot of useful stuff for you. I have some ideas for what I might do if I were teaching such a course. I would probably make it very practical...consider waste management in our school (recycle program, composting, etc), do home energy audits, test tap water and water from local lakes and rivers, grow a school garden, study local environmental issues, field trips to water and waste water treatment plants, landfill, local farms, a green building or net zero energy building, etc. There are tons of citizen science opportunities such as removing invasive plants, participating in bird counts, etc.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cate_in_Mo

Old 09-02-2015, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You might check ABC Technology Environmental Science. It is pretty introductory, but would give you some ideas. We used it last year, 9-12 class, open enrollment. It is project based and a little cross-curricular.
I am in a rural district, so students are "outdoorsy" and we have lots of green space access. It might be harder in an urban school.

Cate_in_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote