High School

Teaching with Tablets

>

Aubrie

Aubrie

Teaching with Tablets
Old 11-30-2015, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you use tablets in your classroom? Have you found it effective or distracting for your students?

tmbg

not much
Old 12-01-2015, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I only use them if laptops are not available. They are fine for research or using apps, but you can't type on them...at least not the ones we have. However, they are good for recording if you are doing something like a skit and recording it.
Otherwise, I much prefer laptops.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Tablets
Old 12-08-2015, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use tablets quite a bit, but I do prefer the kids use laptops to type papers. Laptops are not an option in my school at this time. I can't say I agree with that option so I have bluetooth keyboards for my students to borrow.

I do prefer the use of technology and we are very lucky to be able to afford to have a tablet for each student in our secondary schools here.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

ELARinsa

Old 02-01-2016, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Due to an iPad initiative my school adapted this year, all the 9th grade students at my school have the option to receive an iPad. They had to go through a lengthy set of meetings with parents and admin, but the majority of the students have them.

In my English class, I use Google Classroom quite a bit along with other educational apps (like Socrative, Educreations, Padlet, etc...). When I heard about the iPad initiative, I have to admit, I didn't greet it with open arms. As a HS teacher, it is a constant battle with the phones for some students, so I saw another device added to the mix to be a curse. However, since there are many restrictions on what the students can/cannot access on the iPads, I haven't had too many problems. When my students received them, I made sure to set the expectations the same for them as I have for cell phones: if we are using them for instruction, they can be out; if not, they shouldn't be seen/heard. For the most part it's worked out fairly well.
ELARinsa is offline   Reply With Quote