Help

High School

American Cultures/Pop Culture Help

>

bperry0101

American Cultures/Pop Culture Help
Old 08-18-2013, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all, I am looking for some help for this coming year. I normally teach U.S. History and AP psychology, but this year I am assigned to teach American Cultures. The problem, I have no idea how to and I am looking for some ideas. There is no text, so everthing comes from me. I was thinking of going through by decades talking about movies, music, trends, so on. I would love any advice or any sources for lessons.

bperry0101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr.NJ

Sorry
Old 08-18-2013, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry - I teach elementary so I don't have any advice but I just think teaching the decades would be so much fun, I am very jealous!
Mr.NJ is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialAnne

Old 08-18-2013, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Be sure to check out The Butler...civil rights from the 60's til now
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

A old song
Old 08-18-2013, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I was in HS that song "We Didn't Start the Fire" was popular. My junior history teacher had us spend the first week of school researching the events mentioned in it. I really loved that assignment. I know it is an old song, but there is so much pop culture and historical events included in it.

Sorry for the error in my title! It won't let me edit it.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

BabyB

American Cultures
Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have thought about this. I would identify themes--music, technology, novels, movies, dance, current events, etc., and follow them through the decades. You might even have experts that research these topics for each decade and present it to the class.
You could also have speakers come in and talk about the various time frames from a personal perspective. I have realized recently that my dad did not have indoor plumbing until the the WPA wired the county during the 1930s. He also used a horse drawn plow to cultivate the family garden.

BabyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I was in HS I took a class called American Trends - we looked at various time periods and the literature, politics, art movements, etc of each one. It was a great class!
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Stephko

Stephko

A Multicultural America
Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm in a similar boat. I have a class that is 9th and 10th grades, and the course material was described to me as, "well, I guess you can teach whatever you want." I decided on doing a multicultural studies class with the over-arching question of, "What does it mean to live in a multicultural society?" meaning America. I'm going to structure it as a more independent study class, with small groups of students each reading a different book related to the same culture (i.e. Middle Eastern, Latino, etc.) and frame their readings from the perspective of how does the culture treat various issues (race, respect for elders and each other, marriage customs, etc).

You could tweak this idea if it's something you're interested in by having groups of students work within the same decade or subculture and form some kind of presentation or portfolio that includes a major work of literature, short story, song, poem, piece of art, and so on, and they could use those to explain how their choices reflect the spirit of the decade. Or for each decade, each group could research a sub-culture (African American, Caucasian, Hippie, etc.) and see how they intertwined throughout the decade.

subczy

neato
Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What a fun class to teach. I would also consider the historical side adn look at pop culture back in greek times, victorian times, the roaring 20's and so on. Sometimes kids think they are the only ones who are rebels lol.

An idea for the end of the class might be a skit, rap, or video the kids put together to explain all they learned.

enjoy!
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote