Help

High School

Thinking about switching to high school

>

afirst11

Thinking about switching to high school
Old 05-12-2015, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a middle school math endorsement. But I got hired as a 1st grade teacher (jobs were few and far after graduation) the. They moved me to 5th and now I'm in 3rd. I had to move each time due to population changes with in the school. Now I'm pretty settled in 3rd.

I'm contemplating the switch because I would be in a new district (not liking the current district's direction). I think I want to teach math all day (when I think about my least fav parts of the day it includes reading and writing) and I am pretty sarcastic. My sarcasm falls upon the deaf ears of 3rd graders.

I know it is a huge jump but I met the principal at the h.s. Last summer and she has been asking my friend when am I going to apply (I just submitted my application)

The down sides? Having to move buildings/ districts and start over as a teacher.

Thoughts that I should be considering?

afirst11 is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

I did the opposite!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

And moved from high school to kinder last year. My thoughts on the older kiddos:

Middle school kiddos are rife with hormones, and can vary day to day in mood, knowledge, and behaviors. Not saying this is a bad thing...it will definately keep you on your toes!!

They aren't that much different than your 3rd graders...just different sized bodies!

You either love or hate them...and they either love or hate you...sometimes both!

To be honest, I loved the kids, they were able to joke, sit, follow through on assignments, have in depth conversations, and think higher level than third graders. If i was able to just work with the kids, I would consider going back...they really were fun to work with!

Good luck to you, i think you will have fun whichever you decide to do. Speaking from experience, working for an administration that you trust and believe in is definately worth the price of switching districts!
kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

love HS
Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I switched from middle school to high school and will never look back! I really enjoy the high schoolers. They are much more independent, and their parents are usually well aware of their strengths and weaknesses by high school. The downside is that they are very smart and savvy, and you have to be on your toes all the time.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

MusicNerd2009

Old 05-16-2015, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Your sarcasm will not fall upon deaf ears with MOST high school students. . For me, high school is easier because MOST students are responsible so you don't have to print out 5000000000 notices to parents about homework, field trips, etc. The only thing is, high school comes with different challenges, such as if the student blows his top, you need to run and call the cop (if your school has a resource officer). Also, if you aren't used to hearing swear words, high schooners do it A LOT.
MusicNerd2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

gertegan

Old 05-18-2015, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My bro and I go by one simple rule - if you love your content, go high school, if you love the antics and aggravations of younger kids, go middle or lower.

gertegan is offline   Reply With Quote

afirst11

Update
Old 08-02-2015, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I didn't get the h.s. job. The interview went horrible and as soon as I walked in I just got a vibe.

So I applied and got the middle school volleyball coaching position in my own district. My hope is that I will get to work with the age group in a more fun environment.

Two days ago my district's middle school principal emailed me asking if I was interested in a middle school math position. I decided not to take it.
afirst11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tommy2025

Almost there
Old 03-24-2016, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Don't give up on high school. Always stay positive in what you do and make the best of every situation.
Tommy2025 is offline   Reply With Quote