I've Made It This Far, You're Not Messing It up! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I've Made It This Far, You're Not Messing It up!

>

Love-Teach

I've Made It This Far, You're Not Messing It up!
Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 PM

For the first time in my career, I have made it this entire Fall/Winter season without getting sick enough to miss school. I credit this to the allergy treatment my new doctor has me on as well as the investment of gallon sized jugs of hand sanitizer and antibacterial soap which I strongly encourage my students to use at anytime as long as I'm not in the middle of teaching.

Well, only one and a half days until Christmas break and both of my own children (ages 16 and 2 1/2) are under the weather. I saw it coming, they've both been coughing and a little snotty for awhile but today was the day it finally set in.

They're both knocked out, snuggled together on the couch. It's a pitiful but very sweet picture. I have to always brag on my older son, he couldn't be a better big brother.

As much as the parent in me doesn't like to see my babies sick, and as much as my instinct wants to snuggle them and provide some sort of comfort, (maybe not my 16yo, but he's still my boy! ) I'm keeping my distance in case what ever they have is contagious. It's probably just sinus and allergy related but I don't have time to be sick!

DW is probably going to take them both to the pediatrician tomorrow so they can squash it completely before Christmas.

Love-Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-17-2017, 09:43 PM

That's great for you! I hope your kids feel better soon and you stay well!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-17-2017, 09:50 PM

My allergy treatment has been a miracle. I got so many allergy-related infections in my ears and sinuses that I was on antibiotics way too often.

I'm not a fan of antibacterial soap or sanitizer, but I do wash hands and try to practice basic cleanliness. I do have cavicide in my room for when stomach bugs or flu breaks out.

My mom is having chemo, and I'm supposed to go home and change clothes and wash my hands really well before I go to her house after school. DSS did his finals with a 102 fever. He's still coughing. I'm ready to put on a mask.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Love-Teach

Ima Teacher
Old 12-18-2017, 03:50 AM

Same here! I started going to a new doctor who moved into the next town over (he's open late, weekends, and takes walk-ins) and getting a sinus cocktail literally every 6 weeks if not more!

Finally this doctor told me he wanted to do an allergy screening because it's been ages since I had testing done. He said he wants to be a "good doctor" and he doesn't like just treating symptoms and not treating the actual problem. That's a good doctor in my book! I've been on allergy immunotherapy for a couple of months now and can already tell a world of difference! I also found out that I am quite allergic to bee stings. I knew I was allergic to them before testing but turns out, I'm allergic enough to warrant needing an EpiPen. I guess that's good to know!
Love-Teach is offline   Reply With Quote