Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

First day of VBS

>

spedder1

First day of VBS
Old 06-11-2018, 05:34 PM

I have one day of VBS under my belt. I requested second grade. I am with the Pre-K through K group. There are 5 boys and 2 girls. The girls are so cute and listen well. The boys are, well, immature at the very least and mouthy and not good at listening at the very worst. My Special Ed Spidey senses are on high alert with one boy. I'm not sure if he has processing issues, sensory issues, or is on the autism spectrum. He goes to preschool and is "very quiet" according to his sister. He tunes out directions and walks away and turns his back when he doesn't want to do something, which is most of the time. At one point he made it to the front door of the church. I got to him and told him to give me his hand. He screamed "NO" and turned to run more. I grabbed his hand, got down to his level and told him that he was not being safe so I was going to hold his hand. I'm wondering if he'll show up tomorrow. I am going to bed early tonight, though!
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 PM

I hope Day 2 is better for you!
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-11-2018, 08:02 PM

I too hope tomorrow is a better day for you!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

There's no tired like VBS tired
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 PM

I had day 2 tonight, I had 14 1st - 3rd graders. Love every single one; a really good group. We had 20 pre-k - kinders tonight. There's 8 adults with them and it's still like herding cats. All in all, we had 53 kids which is more than our lityle church has in total attendance on an average Sunday. VBS is a huge outreach. Prayers for energy and patience.
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-12-2018, 04:35 AM

About 15 years ago I started planning my vacation during VBS week because everyone knows that teachers are excited to teach a class. I'm especially sought after because I'm a ad ondary teacher, and nobody wants the middle school class.

Our VBS is this week, so I'm coming to you this morning from a condo in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 06-12-2018, 06:10 AM

I stopped teaching both Sunday School and VBS when I started teaching full time. It was just too much to work with kids all week and then volunteer to work with them on my time.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TLC

Old 06-12-2018, 08:53 AM

I have VBS next week, after a two year hiatus.
I enjoy the teaching part, just not so much all the decorating prep. It feels like the decorating has become a pinterest contest that stays up for only one week.
I teach second and was offered that. Nope.
How about the kinders? Nope.
I took fourth grade. I am hoping for some maturity and better behavior!
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Love-Teach

I Feel Your Pain
Old 06-12-2018, 07:49 PM

I am in high demand by seemingly everyone during the summer months.

I drive a school bus for the district's summer programs, it makes me a year-round employee and helps build my pension. I also just love doing it! Luckily that gig is very flexible and as long as I find another driver to run my route, I can be absent whenever I need to be. My mother has been a bus driver for around 29 years so she readily covers my route. I also run a towing business with my brother on the side.

Obviously, I am good with kids and am a regular volunteer with the Kids Ministry at church. During the summer I am called upon to help out with camps and such with both the Kids Ministry and Youth Ministry. Because I have a CDL and can drive the "big bus" I am a commodity of a volunteer to have! I stay extremely busy during the summer! I wouldn't have it any other way, but it can be exhausting.
Love-Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Made it to Wednesday
Old 06-13-2018, 04:56 AM

My dog was sick and I was afraid I would have to take her to the vet, but she seems better this morning. Today is Jungle Green day. I don't have green shirts, so I went to Dollar General before VBS started and bought cheap colored men's tee shirts in each daily color. I didn't help with set up and only felt mildly bad about it. I will help with tear down because, well, we all will be there Friday when it's all over. The little ones are okay. They have trouble with some of the activities, especially the games, because they don't follow the directions well. All they want to do is run around and go to the playground.
Wish me luck.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote