Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Paddling

>

hand

Paddling
Old 10-05-2018, 04:11 AM

I know earlier in the week there was some discussion about paddling. This morning I saw this story from Oklahoma

https://www.facebook.com/7938522410/...5879866127411/

hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-05-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Gunckel called the parents to apologize, saying "he was sorry [the student] bruised easily, and that "they were supposed to hurt so that {the student] would remember not to do what [they] were doing anymore."

That's a "Sorry, not sorry" if I ever heard one. Dear Lord, Oklahoma is so backward.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Oh-snap54

Old 10-05-2018, 05:19 AM

you have no idea. There are fortunately few districts that still use corporal punishment but those that do... are backward.

We have pockets of such extreme ignorance here. I really did not know until I ended up in one.

My family was well educated and we struggle to reconcile the fact this place has stagnated and not progressed.
Oh-snap54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Wowser...
Old 10-05-2018, 02:02 PM

The last time I heard of a public school kid getting it was 1978? I was in middle school. I remember boys getting swats back then. I forget when the law was changed.

I would rather get hit than stay after school or apologize or write an essay or look like I remotely care. I know the teacher can't kill me or beat me enough to put in the hospital. So what's the point? The threat of a swat would put my DD on pause for bad behavior. Or my sister. It would do diddle squat for me or my brother. My Dad closed fist punched us. Like a squat with a paddle is worse?

Paddling just means the adult lost it, and I pay my debt to society by getting hit. It's over in 5 mins or less. I don't see how that changes anything.

I would have rather been paddled than write out a whole old school Merriam Webster onion skin paper dictionary page with tiny font. I think the boys got off easy.

Why did Gunckel even bother call? *insert near fatal eye roll here*
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 10-06-2018, 03:09 PM

This is the kind of paddling we have in our schools, and what I expected to read about when I opened this post.

Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Love-Teach

Paddling
Old 10-06-2018, 07:48 PM

I just read that story about 30 minutes ago before getting on PT. My district still uses corporal punishment. I'm not against it when used as a last resort, within reason, and carefully.

What I can't understand is that if you search the web, you can easily find a handful of stories where a paddling as gone wrong and the student was left with unthinkable bruises or worse. In this case the principal said he's "sorry the kid bruised so easily." WHAT?????

Let me tell you, that principal is more than likely a complete reckless idiot! It is nearly impossible to leave bruises using a paddle if it is applied flat to the bottom and with reasonable force. If the allegations are true, this man is an idiot and does not need to be working with children whatsoever. I really wonder how someone who doesn't have the ability to know what is reasonable when spanking an elementary aged student made it to be an administrator to begin with.

I've spanked my own kids and yes, I have paddled some students in my time and you better believe I consider and take every effort to make damn sure I wouldn't leave a mark or any injury. I love my kids and love my students, I would lose sleep for days if I permanently hurt them in any way!

I just don't understand how someone could be careless with children. It really gets under my skin when I think about it!
Love-Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-07-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
This is the kind of paddling we have in our schools, and what I expected to read about when I opened this post.

Ima, that's the only kind of paddling schools should endorse.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 10-07-2018, 07:52 AM

Iím with Zia on this topic!
hand is offline   Reply With Quote