Help

BusyBoard

Classroom Setup

>

Ima Teacher

Classroom Setup
Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went to work today and got all of my big furniture out of storage and started setting up my classroom.

My floors were already finished, Iíd gotten some new shelving that needed to be taken to work. Before I knew it I was working in my room. It bugs me to wait until the last minute to get ready for open house.

I sort of like doing a little bit at a time when Iím in the mood for it.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh my gosh, I just got out on Friday and you are setting up your room! When did you get out? I like to go when I know others arenít there. I donít know why, but I seem to get more done that way.
sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-19-2018, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh my goodness, I just packed up my classroom!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 06-19-2018, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was doing PD the week after school got out and went by my room for some teacher's manuals. I noticed my room had already been cleaned. I asked the cleaners if I could put things back in place and they gave me the go ahead. Yippee!

All I need to do now is return all the little things/decorations back in their places, pass out books/supplies, and Iím pretty much ready roomwise.

It does feel good to get this done.

Now prepping the technology will be my biggest task, but I canít do that until I get my class list the day before school begins. Why canít we have these sooner?
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Why are you setting up your room? Didn't school end recently?

travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 06-19-2018, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I normally do the same! Waiting stresses me.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

honestly
Old 06-19-2018, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If I lived close to my school and it was AC and my room was ready, I would probably stop by every so often.
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Before open house
Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I like going in before teachers are required to report to get everything ready. I always end up adding things to my list anyway, so I try to get the vast majority done before teacher's report so as those "extra" things come to mind, I can do them. If I wait too long, I get nervous I won't finish, I get stressed, and stressed puts me in a bad mood. Who wants to be in a bad mood the first few days back? Not me!

I haven't gone in yet, but we are just starting week 2. I doubt my room has even been cleaned yet. Come July/August, I'll come in on a rainy day or an evening and work.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-19-2018, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Kids went home May 31. My last day was June 7.

One of my friends took another position, and I bought some of her stuff. My grade-level partner is switching grades, so Iím sending her some shelves from my room I no longer need. Some of my shelves need some minor repairs, so DH is going to do those.

We donít have any schedule planning days before school begins, so it is all on us to be ready when it is time for open house. That is July 30.

Everyone is gone by 2 in the summer, so I go in the evenings to avoid everyone.

Lottalove

Do what works for you
Old 06-19-2018, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I got out midMay and restart midAugust. I have control of my AC and a key to all the necessary stuff.

I too will go back a little at a time as time allows once my floor is done.

I like to take a break but I also like to be prepared. When I go in on my own time, coming and going as I please, it doesn't seem as much like work. It's kinda like a hobby of sorts or something...

No judgement here.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-19-2018, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

That's what I do.

I work ESY in the summer so I work all but 2 weeks of the summer anyway. I give it a week so that I can have a mini rest, only working half days, and then I start getting things done an hour or 2 at a time.

Those 2 weeks that I have off after ESY ends are mine, all mine, and I don't want to work then I have everything done in advance.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

wow
Old 06-19-2018, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm not even done yet.. OUr last day is June 26! We wont' be allowed to come in to set up till 8/30!!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Classroom
Old 06-20-2018, 02:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I don't understand teachers working in their rooms in the summer. We work hard all year and need time off from school.

There is so much else to do that is relaxing, enjoyable, and good for the soul. The school stuff can wait. When I was working I often went in for a day the week before teachers reported back, and that gave me plenty of time to set up my room and get things organized. Going in more than that simply isn't necessary.

Last edited by travelingfar; 06-20-2018 at 07:10 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-20-2018, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
I don't understand teachers working in their rooms in the summer. We work hard all year and need time off from school.

There is so much else to do that is relaxing, enjoyable, and good for the soul. The school stuff can wait. When I was working I often went in for a day the week before teachers reported back, and that gave me plenty of time to set up my room and get things organized. Going in more than that simply isn't necessary.
You assume that I'm not relaxing and enjoying my summer because I went to school for about an hour one day.

I took a short vacation. I've read a book. I did several projects with my Cricut. I haven't been out of pajamas in two days. I've worked in the yard with DH. I've played games on my iPad.

I have to sit in on an interview committee tomorrow morning, so I'll probably stay for an hour or so then, too. (My DH is going to do some shelving repairs in my room while I do interviews.)

Completing my room will take me one other visit (most of the day), and I'll be done.

Some people prefer to wait until school begins. I do not. I like to have my down time before school begins. Plus, I can be to my school in 5-7 minutes. It's not like I'm taking a huge chunk out of my day to run by.

time4fun

Ditto
Old 06-21-2018, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree with you. I like to have everything done early and then I donít go back until I have to in August. My room is basically done except for labeling names because I donít have my class list. I work for an hour or so occasionally in the evenings. I love not having it hanging over my head at the end of July when everyone else starts stressing about it. I definitely get more done when nobody is at school because I like to chit chat!

To each his/her own!
time4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 06-21-2018, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I always enjoy doing this too, getting my set up done early. This year we are locked out of the school though because of massive remodeling being done. Its probably going to be good for me to NOT get into my room for a change
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Working in your room
Old 06-22-2018, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I totally agree "to each his own" .
Some years I've spent a lot of time getting organized and decluttering. I may go in a little early in August because I'll be mentoring a new teacher and want to copy some things for him. Sometimes it gives me a chance to have a new perspective too when no one's around, to look over my books and desk arrangements too.
It feels comfortable to work at your own pace
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

daisy789

Set Up
Old 06-22-2018, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I like to set up my classroom earlier in the summer as well. I find that ideas on what worked or didn't work this past year are still fresh in my mind. It's also quieter, so I can get a lot done without distractions and then can relax before school starts up again. Luckily, my classroom is usually cleaned the week after school gets out, so I can set up early.
daisy789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-22-2018, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Our custodians are good about knowing who wants to come in early and who wonít, so they get the early bird rooms done first.

SusanTeach

classroom
Old 06-23-2018, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Nobody is at our school over the summer, so we can't go in there even if we want to go. Admin. comes back the middle of July, so they tend to get bombarded with teachers asking for keys (we have to turn them in when we leave in May).

Some teachers come in early and get everything ready, take a week's vacation, then come back for PD.

I like to go in at my leisure a few weeks before we have to - then I can go at my own pace and not stress over being ready. I usually go in the mornings and leave when I get hungry.

The bad thing about waiting until the last minute is trying to get anything laminated (they run out) or copied (we only have 2 machines and 40 teachers ).

Also, they turn off the AC at night and it's extremely hot here in the summer (south MS), so if we put up too many things too soon, they'll look pitiful before the first day.

So glad you're ready!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote