Help

BusyBoard

TpT has been banned in my district.

>

Miller

TpT has been banned in my district.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year my district blocked TPT. This year they said we cannot use anything from there in our classrooms. Really they said donít send anything home from there.

Last year they also said we cannot do donors choose.

We have a new reading curriculum this year. Science is essentially new, no textbooks, materials, or budget for activities. In math they bought one curriculum but told us to use Eureka. But donít tell parents weíre mainly using Eureka. 🤬. So frustrating these hoops.

We have to AR, moby max, brain pop, all of which are too expensive. However the curriculum cites the use of brain pop for some lessons in science.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 07-28-2018, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow! Are you allowed to create your own supplemental activities? I find that students really enjoy the hands-on craftivities I either make myself or find on TPT. I couldn't imagine just using textbooks. I do not understand why they would ban TPT and Donor's Choose.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 07-28-2018, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know anything about your district, but it seems to me that teachers should ban together and protest this decision. I don't know how banning ALL resources from a site is in the best interest of the students? I am curious as to what 'their' rationale is.

Is there a way to protest and/or demand an answer?
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-28-2018, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How would they know if you use something from tpt? They donít say tpt on them, do they?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-28-2018, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have seen this ban attempted and teachers just ignored it. Admin didn't have time to write up 30 teachers every dayThe admin can tell the difference between assignments from curriculum vs. other assignments. Curriculum assignments will usually have publisher info on the page.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

readnteach13

Why?
Old 07-28-2018, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Did they say why they made this decision? How would they know if it where the resource came from? I think TPT can be overused, but it is also one of the most useful and convenient tools available. Iím guessing this decision comes from someone who hasnít stepped for in a classroom for years.
readnteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-28-2018, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Good luck enforcing that ban. It came from higher ups and principals aren’t going to want to deal with it and teachers will nod their heads, close their doors and do what’s best for kids.

That’s akin to a teacher taking away recess for a whole year; it’s just impossible to enforce and he/she looses credibility. What a crock.

(Although I do agree it is overused)
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Ugh...
Old 07-28-2018, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There seems to be a movement towards standardization and everyone doing the same thing, at least in my district. As professionals, we should be empowered to use what we feel our kids need, and if that means TPT or another outside source, so be it. Unfortunately, many administrators don't feel that way. We also had an outside consultant who berated TPT because it wasn't created for your specific students. I thought given the time we would need to start from scratch and re-invent the wheel every time we needed something, we would run out of time, a commodity of which there never is enough of as is. My district developed curriculum maps and now pacing guides which lock us pretty much in. I am so glad I was able to retire this June, because being continually told what I must teach and how to teach it was getting to be very stressful and not fun going in to work at all. I hope you are able to continue to do what you want to do to meet the needs of your students. Good luck!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-28-2018, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My district, and specifically my specific part of the district tried to ban TPT last year as well. The principal tried to enforce it, but honestly we did ignore it.

If you arenít going to give us materials or curriculum than you canít complain about what we do choose to use.

We did bring up...
So, youíre telling us we canít use TPT, but we can create all of our own materials. Yet, if we put what we make on TPT to sell than we can no longer use it.

That got them off our back once it was said... they had no response.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-28-2018, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I donít know how they would know. I bought one workbook that I have seen in the teacher store. How,would they know where I got mine?

We arenít allowed to use Donors Choose. They say it makes the public think the school doesnít provide enough resources.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

OrganizedPup

Old 07-28-2018, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think it will be almost impossible for them to enforce that.

With that being said I do think that many teachers are relying too much on TPT. They see something that is going to save them time so they buy it. Itís a quick fix and ďless workĒ for them. Iím seeing it more and more in my school. We have teachers who arenít checking standards or examining what theyíre purchasing and thatís becoming a big problem.
OrganizedPup is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-28-2018, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The examining issue is a problem with curriculum handed to you by the district as well. I prefer to be trusted that whatever I have in my classroom has been well thought out by me in order to cover the standards for the year. No curriculum that I have been given has ever covered the required standards in a thorough manner. I am not a promoter of TPT because I find teachers selling to teachers to be an uncomfortable practice however if a teacher chooses a product there, more power to her. I trust her judgement.

Unit one in my reading curriculum "Journeys" tells the teacher to tell the kids that "words rhyme because they sound the same." Um, no. I have seen crap like that for 30 years in curriculum handed to me for students.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

With what was said about
Old 07-28-2018, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

especially "don't send anything home from there," my guess is that they have been repeatedly embarrassed by the content or errors found.

TpT is a great resource overall but some of it is either too babyish/cutesy or just plain riddled with errors.

I know, and you know, the errors are not purposeful and are readily corrected when noted, but I can see just one making it home to the wrong house and causing issues for everyone.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 07-28-2018, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I do know there have been errors on things and teachers have admitted they were downloaded and not reviewed before using. It is also control. Our district is elitist and they donít want parents to think the teachers arenít supported.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

time4fun

??
Old 07-29-2018, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

WTH?

Those are great resources and save us time! Why would they be banned?
time4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

reimburse?
Old 07-29-2018, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I hope that they would be reimbursing teachers for the materials that they can no longer use.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Wow!
Old 07-29-2018, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

That's crazy! I don't see how this is going to fly! They won't know if what you are using comes from there or not. Sheesh!
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Just a thought...
Old 07-31-2018, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'm certainly not defending this position/policy... but I will say that I'm aware of districts that have very restrictive policies regarding what is used in classrooms and, even more, what is "sent home."

Typically, it's a "liability" issue and risk management decision and often an overreaction to a problem. As others have pointed out, sending home material with errors is just one consideration.

There are also copyright and "fair use" issues which have been discussed in other threads. It is easier than one might think to open the district to court action.

In one case, a school was threatened with a lawsuit after distributing some artwork that ONE parent considered promoting religion.

We live in an increasingly intolerant society. Unfortunately, that means we sometimes err on the side of safety while sacrificing the goals of education.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 07-31-2018, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
In one case, a school was threatened with a lawsuit after distributing some artwork that ONE parent considered promoting religion.
If the artwork actually promoted religion, the parent is correct that it doesn't belong in a public school, but.... I was once told that I was "a tool of Satan" because, during a unit on fairy tales and folk tales we discussed the similarities in them. 3 wishes, 3 bears, 3 wolves, etc
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-01-2018, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
I hope that they would be reimbursing teachers for the materials that they can no longer use.
. That is funny!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote