Help

The VENT

Lost my temper - way overwhelmed

>

goldenbeads

Lost my temper - way overwhelmed
Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When one of my more fragile children repeatedly called me a "meanie," I know he was right. He also insisted that "teachers should never be rude."

I lost my temper in a way I'm completely ashamed of. I raised my voice, I took their work - snatched their work . . . I think I may have scared them and I didn't want to.

I can't do all they want me to do and I find it very hard. There's only one of me and there are many obstacles and challenges for example, I found out today (shortly before I lost it) - my literacy wants a new breakdown of the Benchmark Reading Assessment data by Friday and my half-time teaching partner just quit. . . after approximately one month on the job . . . which she got because the previous teaching partner got sick and quit . . . after approximately one month . . . when she was reassigned to my room and my previous co teacher was moved.

So August 31 - October 30
November 2 - November 30
(Many sick days and a few substitutes)
January 18 - February 12

So, this job appears to be cursed. I do not believe it is me, but it could be. Am I that intense? Possibly, but they only work with me ~2.5 hours/day.

Did I mention I had oral surgery to remove a cyst from my jaw/sinus last Thursday, took 3 sick days and the weekend and came back to hell yesterday and another resignation today?

How do you hold it together so you don't snap at the children?

goldenbeads is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsDriver

MrsDriver

In all...
Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

honesty, I'm not shocked that you exploded. Who in the world would be able to hold it together after all that? Don't beat yourself up about it. Go in tomorrow and have a frank discussion with the kids. Explain to them that things have been a little rough lately and you were put under a lot of pressure. You don't have to go into details they won't understand. Then tell them that you are truly sorry (I'm sure you are otherwise you wouldn't have posted looking for help) about your behavior and that you hope they can forgive you. Remember, you are human and you will lose it from time to time. Sometimes the kids need to see that we are humans. Good Luck!

Chanarochel

Wait! Don't do it!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If there's one thing I've learned (see my posting called "Big, big mistake") it's NOT to say things like "I was under a lot of pressure." You will be undermining your own authority. These are children. They will tell their parents, the administration, and will have a leg up on your vulnerability. I know this for a fact. Just go in and be a good teacher. That's what will work.
Chanarochel is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachChicago

Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have all lost it! Who hasn't??? With 30 children and all the test pressure these days. Teachers are people, we are not perfect, and we do make mistakes. Apologize to students, with a SHORT explanation, and they will understand. It's unrealistic to expect us not to lose it. And their parents understand as well - parents lose it too, so don't fret.
TeachChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When my grade 6-12 students would tell me I was mean, I replied, "You bet I am," and pointed to the poem on the wall:

Are you a Mean Teacher?
By Laura M Staunton, New Jersey and Barb Erickson, Michigan

Today I was rubbing my eyes (tired) and a four year old asked me, "are you having a rough day?"

You gotta love 'em.

Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

sonshine

I think apologizing...
Old 03-07-2010, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

to students is excellent modeling and I've never hesitated to do it when I feel I need to.
You're human--don't beat yourself up! A simple apology lets your kids know that you realize this isn't the way people should be treated and this is the appropriate response when we are rude. None of us is perfect--and I bet your kids already know that!!
sonshine is offline   Reply With Quote

goldenbeads

Thank you
Old 03-07-2010, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I needed that. I think we're ok in my room, and, after a good weekend of rest, fun, relaxation, friendship, and love, I think I can have a better week than last.
goldenbeads is offline   Reply With Quote