Help

The VENT

simply a VENT

>

learnin&playn

simply a VENT
Old 03-13-2010, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At the start of the school year we were told our school was going to become a Montessori school and that I was to teach 1st and 2nd in the Montessori style. ????? I had no idea what Montessori was all about. So, this year I have been taking the required 'training.' Reading books and answering hundreds of questions. There are so many questions I just skim the material for an answer. All the material consists of is lessons, most of which I already do! Had a school meeting yesterday and was told I will be teaching 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades next year in the Montessori style!! Am still searching for answers, but I'm trained now so should know what to do! ACKKKKKKKKKK ........thank you for letting me vent.

learnin&playn is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-13-2010, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I will wish you good luck. At least they are providing you with some training! ?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Awhile back, I read about the Montessori style. I hope your training is what's needed to help you with such a range of abilities, although I know that's the name of the game. Are there any class sites you can visit?
(I'm not implying your training won't be adequate.)
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

acorn

Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have seen openings at the local Montessori school and have imagined teaching there. I have not really studied their philosophy. How is there school year set up time wise? Is it different than the traditional school year of 180 days here.

Not an easy change. Best of luck!
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Laura

Training
Old 03-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Where were you trained? Was it just "inservice" or at a "traing center"? Did you not know that Montessori is leveled that way (grades 1, 2, and 3 together)?
I have taught public Montessori (different from private) for close to 20 years now. I was trained at Xaver in Cincinnati. I knew what I was getting into when I started to teach (not in college though).
Do you have the Montessori materials? That is a big item. Teachers who are given the materials but not trained on them cannot do them justice!
Yes Montessori is just good practice but the speical materials and the community atmosphere is what is supposed to make it all work.

Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

goldenbeads

Vent Away
Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

but be sure you connect to other teachers who have done this successfully. It's just not that easy to do even after full training and years of experience.

I am a Montessori teacher, and I am confused by what you say. I have the same questions as Laura - what training program? You said there's lots of reading, true training has lots of meetings, lectures, and practice sessions with the materials and after it you'd be certified to teach Montessori in any school public (with state certification) or private. I don't know of any one year while teaching training programs. My training, ages 6 - 12 or grades 1 - 6 or Elementary 1 and 2, took three years of summers, assignments, and weekend seminars to complete.

"In the Montessori style" is scary wording - are they actually becoming a Montessori school? Under the guidance of whom? Which training? Which accreditation?
goldenbeads is offline   Reply With Quote

learnin&playn

Overwhelmed
Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Goldenbeads,
I have had a couple of unexpected curve balls come my way and haven't been online since March!
The 'training' was from North American Montessori Center. We are expected to contact teachers at a school 100 miles away if we have any questions. An 'instructor' has been hired to guide us through our first year, she taught in a Montessori school 6 years ago. She is available 2 days a week.
Someone asked if I knew this was going to happen when I started. I've been teaching at this school for 10 years and up until this year, there has been no indication that this was the direction we were heading.
Can I do a good job? I have no idea. The materials are being ordered this summer so each room will have them this Fall. Do I feel overwhelmed? - you bet! Can I change jobs? Not in this area, there are absolutely no openings within a 40 mile radius.
From my reading and research, I feel that we will not be a true Montessori School as we will still be held accountable to state testing and much of the Montessori expectations do not match up with the state expectations.

learnin&playn

Old 03-27-2011, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have taught at this school for 10 years. At the end of year 10, we were told that next year we would be Montessori. Of course I had no idea what I was getting into and there are no other openings in the area.

No I wasn't trained. I was given 12, 3 ring binders, told to read them and viola! I was trained. The binders contained lessons.

Yes, there are materials, now, try to teach - learn new materials, new lessons and 2 new grades. Add in the state grade level expectations, and state testing....I am exhausted.

Last edited by learnin&playn; 03-27-2011 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: already replied

learnin&playn

Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Goldenbeads,
I agree with your comment on "montessori style' is scary wording. Yes it is because I don't feel we are completely prepared to teach this way. I have tried to connect with other teachers who have done this, but there aren't a lot of choices within a 100 mile area! I

I was given the North American Montessori Center training, through the National Association of Career Colleges, Vancouver, Canada.

Now careful, I'm trying to do my best, but I didn't make this choice.

I know about the 3 year training and wish that was available, but that is not what was provided. We do have a mentor who has taught in a Montessori school, and had the 3 year program.

Femme Creole

Montessori
Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our (publlic) school is becoming a Montessori Magnet school this August.
We have to go to training from 8-5 each day this summer and next summer and a couple of weeks the summer after that and a bunch of weekend training.
Sound like they just threw you in the pool with no life preserver!

We were all just basically "fired" and had to reapply to "stay". My interview is this Thursday and I'm a nervous wreck. More people applying than there are jobs. I've been reading books like crazy to be able to at least speak intellegently at the interview.

Femme Creole is offline   Reply With Quote