Help

BusyBoard

Shouting out during read alouds

>

Jules019

Shouting out during read alouds
Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So this may be a silly question, but how do you manage your students during read alouds? My students often get SO excited about what I am reading that they just yell out! I encourage their thoughtful questions and interest in what I am reading, but the yelling out is driving ME and a few students nuts! Many students do raise their hands, but this is more than half of the class that just yells out!
I don't want to discourage my students, but at the same time, I'd like to manage our time better. Any thoughts or suggestions that you find work? I'd hate to have them flip cards for doing the right/wrong thing, unless that is what works!
HELP!

Jules019 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHoney344

Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If it is truly excessive and students still shout out after warnings I would flip their card. I usually first give a quite reminder (finger to lips) and then if I ask a question and someone shouts out I'll say "I'll call on someone raising a quiet hand...." and then after I call on a student and they answer I compliment them on the waiting patiently and quietly. Sometimes complimenting positive behavior goes a long way.
MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Reward good behavior
Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe you can discuss your expectations with the students and then set up a reward system for each time they make it through a read aloud with appropriate behavior. You might start with a shorter read aloud time at first so the can be successful. Then they will build on those successes with more, hopefully.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Evergreen

Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Every time they call out, close the book in your lap and stare, silently, at them for a full 60 seconds.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy Knitter

Mystery People
Old 03-14-2011, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I pull sticks for any problem times which for me would be read aloud or trips to the bathroom. If we're using math manipulatives or having a guest, that's another time I might pull sticks. The kids don't know who you picked, but they know you picked SOMEONE and that you're watching them closely (I usually pick a boy and a girl) and when the time is up that you're observing, if they "made it" then they get to clip up (or get a ticket or whatever you do to track good behavior).

Keep it to short periods of time. When my kids start blurting I just pick up the sticks I've chosen (which are turned over so they can't see the names) and look at them. This reminds kids that I'm watching someone.

If the mystery person doesn't make it, I do not tell the kids who it was. I'll just say, "Unfortunately, or mystery person did not make it." Or some variation of that.

Happy Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Lots of great suggestions have already been provided.

Just another thought.
Could you somehow switch this into a teaching time?
We are always telling the kids that good readers ask themselves questions while they are reading, make and confirm/discard predictions, wonder about things etc
Could you give them sticky pads and pencils and stop from time to time and ask them to record their questions?
You could use a Q-chart, KWL or RAN Chart to organize the stickies.

I don't do this with every read aloud. Sometimes I just want to read a story for the pure joy of reading.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

davy

read aloud notebooks
Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My students have a read aloud notebook for this very thing! If they feel the urge to blurt it out it must be very important. So we are working on writing those things down. Then as we get to a stopping point they are able to share their thoughts and we discuss at that moment. I also write questions down as we read and then cross them off as they get answered during our read aloud.

I love how excited the students get but they also need to learn self control and respect. I want to hear what they have to say, but if thoughts are rudely blurted out then it distracts so many others. Since there are many students blurting out, could you stop reading for the day after it happens? Or if it is one student maybe they could sit in another class as a consequence.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote

sarateacher27

turn and talk
Old 03-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

For times like this when they absolutely feel like they need to comment, I utilize turn-and-talk. Each person always has a partner that they sit next to when we come to the carpet. At naturally appropriate times in the tory, I will ask a question and then tell them to turn and talk. It gives them permission to talk, I control the direction of the talk so it is focused, and there is a beginning and end. When I'm ready for them to stop, I say "turn back." This helps them to be quiet while I read because they know that they will have several opportunities to talk to their partner throughout the read aloud time. Hope this helps!
sarateacher27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jules019

All of your suggestions..
Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

help out a lot! Thanks for all of the advice! :-)
Jules019 is offline   Reply With Quote

goldenbeads

Me Too!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just started making tally marks every time someone calls out during a read aloud or lesson. They can see the marks on the easel next to me and they get on each other for it. I don't have to say a word and, most of the time, I can make the mark without interrupting my flow.

goldenbeads is offline   Reply With Quote