Help

ARCHIVE

Reading Street (long)

>

bostonsmom

Reading Street (long)
Old 07-13-2009, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school has purchased RS for us to implement this year (we have been doing guided reading previously). We have not even received the kits yet and are expected to begin in Sept. I did take 2 teacher's editions from our sample kit to look through over the summer.

Can I say how overwhelming this all is!!!! I am used to doing a Reader's and Writer's worshop format and don't know if this will be possible this year. There are so many components, worksheets, prompted writing, etc.

So I am looking for some guidance:

1. How long do you spend on your Lang. Arts Block with this program?
2. Suggestions for how to work in Reader's/Writer's worksops.
3. Does the kit come with the big books and audio resources as listed in the Teacher's editions?
4. Are the spelling tests 10 dictated sentences for students to write?
5. Do you really focus on the 15 spelling words, high frequency words, and new vocabulary words in 1 week- it seems like a lot?

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

ar719

see thread below
Old 07-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I noticed there was another thread about Reading Street.

bostonsmom

Saw it but
Old 07-13-2009, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not looking for more worksheets. I'm looking for ideas on how to manage everything that program offers, but thanks AR719.

funjob

Just finished
Old 07-13-2009, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

our first year with RS. It was overwhelming at first. A routine will take shape after a couple of weeks. Our block is 2 hours. I use the Daily 5 so the writing and reading were included in the 30 minute learning stations. The kit comes with big books and audio tapes (weekly songs and books on tape). We did not dictate 10 sentences for students to write. #5 yes, yes, yes... Good Luck! We really tried to include all components. Students really did well and enjoyed the stories.

daisyflower

Old 07-13-2009, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Haven't used it, but was able to preview TE's and recieved the posters for ELL students. I wrote an ESL unit using one of the posters. It was fun. I like the posters. It looks like a pretty good program. Best of luck implementing it.

Last edited by daisyflower; 07-13-2009 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: grammar

bookwormteach

Here's what I did
Old 07-14-2009, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Know that you do not have to do every single piece of the program.
1. I spent about an hour a day with this program & I did WW separately

Here is how my block looked:
I did a story of the week from the basal
Read-aloud (twice a week it was the story of the week, once a week I read from the Read-aloud anthology or the nonfiction piece/poetry piece/etc. that went with the story of the week)-10/15 mins.
We also have to do GR so during GR/Lit Stations this is what I have set up for Stations: (45 mins.)
Buddy Reading-students read the story of the week with a buddy and did a retell
Writing-(I did not use the writing program as our core-we use Lucy Calkin's UOS so I would put the prompts from RS in this station
Word Study-students sorted their spelling words and recorded in their word study notebooks, then they chose different Word Work activities-building with magnetic letters, Word Wall spinner, etc.
Listening-Students listened to the building vocab song and then the story of the week or a diff story
Read and Respond-indep reading
So you can see I tried to get in a lot of the basal in with centers. I did use the TE and some direct instruction with my reading mini-lessons but I am not a "read straight from the TE kind of person" I like RW and WW. I snuck in RW in a sep. 30/45 min. block. After lunch I read aloud from a chapter book and then gave the students 15/20 mins. to read indep. from their book boxes while I conferenced. But, if you do not have to do GR then you could maybe incorporate RW with the basal-instead of stations have everyone work on the story of the week once or twice a week??
2. I told you that I used some of the writing ideas in the writing center but I still did a sep WW block.
3. Yes we got the big books and CDs.
4. I didn't use the 10 dictated sentences for the spelling tests.
5. I did use their spelling pattern as our phonics focus each week. I only called out 10 words on the test. I could not do the spelling, vocabulary, and sight words all justice (I will admit We focused on the spelling words and sight words. Then, I showed the vocabulary PPT each week from Waltke's Web and they reviewed the words with the Workbook pages. I had them do these about 3 times a week for Morning Work.

Barb/Ohio

bookwormteach ~ Word Wall Spinner
Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Please tell more about your Word Wall Spinner!
Thanks,
Barb/Ohio

MaggieMurph

Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

funjob Please explain how you used Reading Street with The Daily Five. We use RS and I want to try DF this year I just do not know how to fit everything into a schedule. Did you do the Reading Practice woorksheets and/or the Spelling Practice worksheets? If so when did the children do them? There are reader's theater script's for each story on Waltke Web, my class loved those last year, but when would you use them with DF? I also used the power points form Waltke's Web to introduce the vocabulay words. I have many more questions! I would love to hear form others on how they are using RS and the DF.

bostonsmom

Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

for all the input. I did the D4 last year and also used a RW format. I kept WW separate because we use Lucy Calkins UOS. The admin. wants everyone classroom on the same page from now on, which is why they chose this program. I am having a really hard time letting go of the WW in place of their writing prompts. It just seems like so much if you do everything, I don't know how it will work with the D4 format and RW format. I guess it'll be trial and error

Any further suggestions from RS users are welcomed!

polkadot86

reading street
Old 07-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I did my student teaching using the 2nd grade Reading Street Book. I was extremely overwhelemed at first, but I ended up liking it ok. We had to teach it to fidelity, so I had to teach everything the book said. This year I am teaching 5th grade. I plan to use the stories, and teach the skills using my own strategies, but pick and choose everything else.
Here is my experience:
1. In Alabama, if you are an ARI school you are madated to spend at least a 90 minute block on reading everyday. It took me at least that long to teach this series.
2. We didn't do readers/writers wkshop. My cooperating teacher was so overwhelemed, we didn't even have time for centers.
3. The kit comes with leveled readers in 3 levels (on level, below level, and above level) to use with small groups. I used these. On the website, you can enter the students names and a password, and the students can listen to the level readers online. This was really cool because each student can be listening to a different book. The kit also has big books, anthologies, and 2 song books.
4. There is a spelling test. You give the SS a pretest on Monday and another test on Friday. It is just the words, not sentences.
5. There are 4 sets of vocab words for each week. I felt is was really overwheleming to the students, but we did all of them. The story vocab is on the weekly test, but the rest of the words are just expose the students to them.

I'll admit, it took me awhile to get the hang of this series. Once I did, however, I liked it. The stories in the book are easy to integrate with other subjects.

read4riel

Old 07-15-2009, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

1. How long do you spend on your Lang. Arts Block with this program?
Last year I had a 90 minute block. This year I will have longer.

2. Suggestions for how to work in Reader's/Writer's workshops.
Last year was our first year with RS so I did not do RW or WW but this year I'm going to try to do both.

3. Does the kit come with the big books and audio resources as listed in the Teacher's editions?
Last year I taught first grade and all that was included, yes.

4. Are the spelling tests 10 dictated sentences for students to write?
We did not give dictated sentences.

5. Do you really focus on the 15 spelling words, high frequency words, and new vocabulary words in 1 week- it seems like a lot?
My spelling test consisted of the "skill" words and 2-3 high frequency words.

Last year I taught first grade but this year I'm moving to second. I did RS with D5 last year. I think D5 was awesome and it took the place of "centers". This year I'm also going to try to implement CAFE. I think it goes well with the skills.