What makes kids WANT to be in your room? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

What makes kids WANT to be in your room?

>

Luvnmylife

What makes kids WANT to be in your room?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We all do special things in our classrooms. Most are curriculum-related, some are not. What is it that YOU do in your room that makes the new group of upcoming kiddos want to get for their teacher? For example, I do collaborative internet projects through jenuinetech.com and have Mystery Readers come in. So, share some of your great ideas!!

i.luvteaching

Old 08-11-2010, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The tent.

Seriously. One little girl said she walked by room everyday in first grade and saw the tent and just never thought she would be popular enough to get to be in my room. Very strange way of looking at it, but I guess when you are 7 it makes sense.

teacher24

Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

my 6ft. chicka chicka boom boom tree.

my kids love that tree! adults too...i always get alot of complements on it.

L8 4 School

I think....
Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's my decor in general. I always try to make my room really cute and very welcoming. But I know the real reason is because I love my kids to pieces! I really do. I hug them every morning and every afternoon...and, of course, lots and lots in between. My kids at my school need that a lot.

1956BD

My reputation is
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Pros
I am funny.

I give coupons.

I have a very large classroom library.

I share great read alouds.

I do a riddle a day with my class.

Cons

I am strict.

In my opinion I received the very best compliment of my career two years ago from a male student. Toward the end of the school year
he told his mother (she later shared with me) that he would miss me when he went on to fourth grade because I was the funniest, strictest teacher he ever had. Hey, that works for me!

LakeTeacher

Old 08-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am silly.

We create things together (crafts and snacks).

The kids get a say by voting on some activities.

I have bright colors in my room.

I play a lot of music and use it in many lessons and just for fun.

I'm the only teacher who did Daily 5 from the very beginning of the year and they LOVED having choices!

I do a lot of hands-on activities.

cvolcteacher

A couple of things...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

1. I have a full size mailbox in my classroom, standing on a base with flowers around it, and every day at calendar time, the person with the "Mailperson" job for the week opens the mail to see what's there. Kids love this! I might put a joke inside, or a book that we're going to read, something special that we need for the art project in the afternoon, the Zero the Hero treat etc. Someone online made a similar mailbox to mine after I had described it years ago. You can see hers at this link by scrolling down about 2/3 of the way on the page:
http://www.thevirtualvine.com/BacktoSchool.html

Just as an aside, on my mailbox I write the name and address of the school and put the Canadian flag. This makes a handy "spelling aid" for when kids want to spell the name of the school, our town or "Canada."

2. I have a junk art center with two bins that sit atop the puzzle shelf. Junk art is one of our free choice centers. After school, kids come from all the grades to do a little "artwork" as they wait for the bus. This is always something special the kids remember and the younger ones look forward to.

3. I have a deer head on my wall. It's a paper mache trophy head that a parent (who owned an art store,) gave me years ago. The deer is named "Dolly." Dolly has a whole box of earrings that go with the season and holidays. Kids love to change her earrings! The earrings are things from the dollar store or my junk drawer that come in pairs. She has little skeletons and little pumpkin earrings at Halloween for example. Now, why you ask, do I have this deer on the wall? Dolly loves numbers! Under her head are two pads of paper and some large dice. The person who has the "Dolly Deer" job for the week, rolls the dice at calendar time and writes the number equation for what comes up on the dice... perhaps 3+6=9. Then the Dolly Job person asks Dolly... "Dolly, Dolly, what do you want us to do 9 times?" Then Dolly whispers in that person's ear. The person tells the class, we stand and do that thing 9 times. Meanwhile, the job person does a tally as we are doing the actions.... perhaps barking 9 times like a dog, clapping 9 times or doing 9 jumping jacks etc.

4. We have great parties in our room! My teaching partner and I love them ... activity stations with a scooter board Haunted house at Halloween, Christmas craft party, Valentine's Tea party, Mother's Day Spa etc. We both love to teach and we both are collectors of ideas and STUFF! We like to use our imaginations and plan new things! It's been great to have such a wonderful partner for 11 years. Next year though, she's retiring so I'm now forging forward in Kindergarten on my own. Looking forward to that too though!

5. For many years we have had a Dinosaur Dig at the end of the year. Any child with older siblings knows about this one and looks forward to it. Basically, we create dino skeletons and body parts and bury them in an "archeological dig site" at the beach. After excavating them, we go to my partner's nearby back yard and do lab experiments with them. The kids never forget this and the younger ones can't wait to have their turn.

Just a few things I can think of...
Great thread... hoping to find more ideas!

Kerry in BC

Last edited by cvolcteacher; 08-12-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Kel. my Belle

Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

around April I start getting first graders stopping me in the hallway asking if they can be in my room. I am not sure exactly why, but here are some high points I have heard about..

Pros:
1. "You never yell at your kids, Mrs. S"--- that is pretty much true, not to say I have never raised my voice, but for the most part I have a very calm teaching voice...

2. "Do you guys really get to build race cars?"-- This is a project my DH started years ago when I first started teaching. We do it at the end of the year. He cuts little wooden car forms out of wood. The kids do all of the sanding, choose paint color, screw on wheels, decorate with sharpies and then we have a race day with a race track my DH built. The kids use scales to weigh their cars and we graph which cars win each round and compare who won to how heavy their car is to see the results. I posted a thumbnail of the class making race cars.. I blurred out the kids faces for privacy)

3. I have fun Friday-- it is a reward for hard work all week as well as good behavior. Students who have tried their best (which is almost always all of them) get to have the last thirty minutes of Friday to play games, do art projects ECT...If a student does not get to participate I have an essay on respect that they copy and take home and get signed.

I have very high expectations and I am very consistent and firm. We practice procedures and routines until we know them automatically. This has really minimized a lot of my discipline problems.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Becca4

My classroom
Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am consistent.

Strict but very caring...the kids know I love them.

Fair

Homeworkopoly

New Theme each year

Hands-on activities

Had brothers and sisters before

doolnut

Reason why they want me.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think they want to be in my room because I am the youngest on my team.

utteacher

hmmmm...
Old 08-13-2010, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think kids can be so silly when it comes to this kind of stuff. Well, I have the only smartboard in first grade, so that's definitely a highlight for them. I'm also the only one in our grade who really believes in telling the kids I love them and give out hugs freely. Our student population is really tough and I think some of them crave a consistent, caring adult.

txblonde

Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Apparently I'm really fun! I've had kids from other 3rd grade classrooms come tell me that they wish they'd had me that year and while it's a great compliment to me, I feel bad for their teachers because they apparently don't have the relationships with their kids I do with mine.

I'm still tweaking my teaching style, but while I'm strict, I'm also a go-to person that my kids KNOW they can go to no matter what the situation... I'll go out in the hall and have a talk with them if they need it, and I guess they don't get that often. Pretty sure I'm so exhausted by the end of the school year because I form major bonds with my kids, I'm their teacher, but I teach them about so much more than just "academic school". You know what I mean?

Also, my room is very cutesy and "warm". When we had to cover up and take down last year after TAKS my kids were like wow, our room is so sad and boring now!

Blue Crayola

Old 08-15-2010, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The 2s are in the purple room and the 1s are in the orange room. The teachers and assistants in the orange room make our room such a big deal at transition time that it's hard not be excited about wanting to be in our room.