Help

BusyBoard

Any Ideas for Morning Work ?????

>

FINALLY35

Any Ideas for Morning Work ?????
Old 07-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Trying to come up with ideas for morning work for my 5th graders. I want it to be meaningful and something they won't rush through just to say they have done it. I had considered using this as my AR time so that no matter what level they are on they should always have a book that they are reading or testing on. I am hoping that this will stop kids from saying they are finished and just sit idlely waiting for the rest of the class to finish. In the past I have tried writing prompts and the Evan-Moor daily books (which I love). Please share ideas that have been successful for you in the past. TIA

Teacherbee_4

Review
Old 07-11-2012, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My morning work varies everyday...I right directions on the board along with a good morning type message. Normally, I do review things or catch-up type things...for example, if we didn't finish something in one subject the day before, I have directions for them to take that out and work on it. My room was 1-1 to last year, so I sometimes put review quizzes online and had them to do that or play an educational game. I've also given hard copies of "Math Quizzes" that review the previous day's material. Normally, they were not graded, but it served as a good formative assessment to see how the kids were doing. Sometimes they worked on a long-term writing project, sometimes I had them to do a brainstorm or some "prior knowledge type activity" to help prepare for the coming day's lesson.I have also had them work on cursive pages or long-term projects. I have even used the Evan-Moor books, especially if it reviews what we did the day before. When they finished, they knew to take out a book and read.

On occasion, I tried giving a "free morning work day" where they had "free talk time". That didn't work out too well. They did a great job keeping their voices low so I could take attendance, help students who needed help on the homework that was do, check homework, etc. However, it set their day up wrong...they were put in a "chatty" mood from the start. So, I stopped doing that and instead of doing a free morning work day, I ended up giving choices of fun but appropriate games they could play on their own with technology. This worked much better. I very rarely did this, maybe about 4-5 times per year.

Where I student taught, on Monday, they did Spelling (there series was either Evan Moor, or something similar, it was from one of those learning shop books). They had to work on the packet that came with their words. On Tuesday and Wednesday, they did Time for Kids activities (reading the magazine, highlighting articles, taking the quiz, doing the other part of the quiz-the graph thing), and on Thursday and Friday they did a math review sheet that reviewed skills they already should know.

lil_bit

Morning Work
Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We had DOL, vocabulary, geography, analogies, and Mountain Language that the students did every morning. It added up to be about 12 problems that they were working on. It took mine a few weeks to get in the swing of things, but once they learned the routine, they were fine. Mine also knew to read AR when they were done.

You may even use that time as a time when they can work on their writing, improving their stories, reading, quick math review, a mini-study hall, etc. Good luck!

Overlightnes

Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We read independently.

SassyTeach

Morning work
Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The last couple of years I've had my kids read at their desk until I got all the homework checked in and did attendance. That typically took about 10 minutes or so.

This year I'm creating a math calendar sheet that they will work on. It's only going to be one sheet, so then they can do some reading after they're finished. I haven't finalized it yet, otherwise I'd attach it.

We'll see how it goes.

ladijen148

Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am trying this year caught ya! grammar with a giggle. I seen it on a couple other post.

I usually check homework and they have a do now, which is usually some type of test prep worksheet with a short passage and questions. Also they copy homework too.

lte's mom

Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love love love Drops in a Bucket. I alternate between their language/reading and the math. It's designed to review the previous year's learning so it's basically independent work. Since there are 60 pages in each book, the one review level will last for 120 days. Then I start on the next level.

old mare

morning work
Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach 6th grade and I also write a good morning message on the board announcements, change in schedule etc. I like drop in the bucket math, or some other type of math skill or review on Monday, testing prep skills on Tuesday(it's never too early to teach test taking skills) this could include grammar reading comprehension, map skills, very short worksheets, Wacky Wednesday word searches, puzzles, writing prompts usually theme or month related. Turn the pages Thursdays( Silent Reading time Thursday), and Friday is folder day. Students get an envelope from the office, a weekly folder from me and papers from other teachers that need to be filed and taken home for parents to review. It's a general cleanup and getting ready for next week. it is great in the morning because Friday at the end of the day sometimes can be chaotic. I like this because the students know exactly what to do each day.

lynn6

Read!!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I used to do Drops in the Bucket or the Daily Language and Math sheets. Last year I decided to use that time for independent reading. I absolutely love starting the day with reading! I will never go back to worksheets again.

FINALLY35

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you all so much for the fantastic ideas. You guys are awsome. I saw several ideas that I may try. Thanks again!!!!!

BRONX

Calendar math
Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Check out Teaching in Room 6 for her calendar math. She is a proteacher poster and came up with calendar math. It takes some times to get the kids to do it independently but it is so worth it.

In addition to calendar math I also have my kids work on a week long time for kids or scholastic magazine activity. I have them read it and complete a writing assignment based on the center article.

cteacherrun

Ideas
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

One idea I had was to put an interesting picture, possibly related to Science or Social Studies, up on the projector and then have them write in their interactive student notebook about it. Then we could use that as an ice-breaker later on. I also had a teacher friend who, once a week, allowed students to "follow their heart". They could do whatever they wanted, as long as they were following a personal interest. Most of the time, these kids were on the computer researching.

Century46

Morning Menu
Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I do a rotation.

Monday - Weekend News (They write about their weekend in their journals and have an opportunity to share at Community Circle...they can't share what isn't written down).

Tuesday/Thursday are math days, so have some review problems or a problem solving activity...many times it includes materials so that they have an opportunity to play with them.

Wednesday is a literacy activity (Book Buzz, Making Big Words, Word Ladders, ect.) Often, there are several choices and they can pick one or more.

Friday is another writing day...Reflection about the week (high point/low point, three pluses and a wish in paragraphs or even a list about learning throughout the week. Alternatively, this can be an assessment for the week as well.

If they finish, they can do a quiet activity at their seats of their choice.

TeacherKel

Old 07-12-2012, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

mine do a comprehension sheet-short paragraph and then 5 questions (specific skills) that go along with it. I felt it was very helpful and a good way to get some reading grades. I also have write to a prompt or a fun picture sometimes to use as a beginning to our writing class.

basketball777

Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

centers come with our reading program and I plan to use them for morning work at least a couple times a week at each group. I teach a younger grade though.

For 4th we did DOL, analogies, Journal.

KellyTeachTX

Morning Work
Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I make a Language/Writing Warm-up Packet that the kids do as soon as they come into the room. They know they have 10 minutes (sometimes 15) to complete the assignment and that they should read their AR book when they're finished.

I use Drops in the Bucket for many of the pages in my packet, but also put Cursive Practice, Editing/Proofreading Paragraphs, Journal Prompts, Spelling Practice (words of the week) and Logic Puzzles.

On "Drops" Days, they know that we'll be going over the answers and discussing the pages for a mini-lesson before grammar.
Also, after they've done 4 or 5 "drops" pages, I give them one that they do on their own for a Grammar grade.

It's worked very well for me, and gives me some time to work in those skills that continually need practice, but that I sometimes do not have time for...

Kelly-5th grade

maggiehgs

Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

M-Th: I used Read and Math 4 Today. I would also put some language review on the board. When they finished, they would read, take AR tests, or go to the library.

F: Spelling review activity.