Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Basic Math Fact Incetives

>

starthrower01

Basic Math Fact Incetives
Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT-
I've posted this on the busy board too...

I'd like to get some ideas on incentives you have in your classrooms for students mastering basic math facts. Also, does your school currently have a school wide incentive program for student mastery of basic math facts? If so, what is it and how does it work? I appreciate any input anyone has.

Thanks!
Starthrower01

SassyTeach

What I've done
Old 07-11-2012, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have done this the past two years, but I'm changing it this year. I do a 50 facts test every week, and when kids get all of them correct 5 times, they can choose a full-sized candy bar from my stash. This year I'm going to change it to where they have to get them all correct 10 times.

Most of the kids LOVE it. I have a chart titled "Multiplication Masters" and each time they get a test with 100% correct, I put a dot by their name. They can see when they are close to getting their candy bar, and from what they tell me, it makes them study more at home.

Those that could not care less about their facts...well, they never get it. sigh

Dina

Old 07-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Students do a facts sheet daily and turn it in. A test is given every 3 weeks. The test is 6 minutes long. They graph their progress on their individual graph, so they can see their improvement. Those that master get their name on a card that is posted at the end of our hallway as a Multiplication Master. Once they are a master, they don't have to do the daily sheet anymore, but still do the test to keep up their skill. At the end of the year, we have a party for those who mastered.

You could also have a special event at the end of each six weeks for those who mastered that six weeks.

lynn6

Gumball
Old 07-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I want to try this gumball incentive. Unfortunately, my Dollar Tree does not have the machines.
http://mandys-tips-4-teachers.blogsp...21318301643228

Pickett2

Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've done this for several years. I start the year with the traditional 100 addition facts that they must pass (98%). When they pass the addition they move to subtraction, then to multiplication and division. Around Halloween, which is the end of our first quarter, I have an ice cream sundae party. Each student gets a bowl of ice cream because we've all worked hard to pass our tests. Then each student gets to choose toppings according to how many of the tests they passed. For example, if they passed all 4 tests, they get to choose 4 toppings, 3 tests get 3 toppings, 2 tests get 2 toppings, etc. I have toppings such as chocolate sauce, whipped cream, cherries, M & Ms, Oreos, sprinkles, etc. The kids like it.

One Love

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Love the gumball idea! Thank you!