Help

Third Grade

Wondering

>

ar719

Wondering
Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Am I getting old or is it okay for a third grader to say (in the library) (as I'm asking the kids to sit down) "put Uranus on the rug"????

RetiredKat

fess up
Old 04-26-2014, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bet you did giggle just a bit.

I never had a third grader use that line but they always find something funny about that word as well as the word "dam." The child was probably repeating what an adult said who had gotten a big laugh.

The other day I took the wind out of a 5th grader's sail when he thought he was being cute. He thought he had written a curse word in his book. I pointed out that the word he wrote was what a beaver builds in a river or people build to control water. What I found funny about it was that when I had him in third grade I had posted a newspaper article on the BB that had the word "dam" in the headlines. At that time we did have one or 2 class discussions. Maybe he did remember something about 3rd grade or maybe not.

On a more serious note I do think it is sad that more and more children are exposed to adult language. Whether at the local kid friendly restaurant or tv commercials they are being forced to "grow up" too fast.

1956BD

Unacceptable
Old 04-26-2014, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just my opinion but I would not accept this behavior. If he were in my class he would pull a respect strip.

MassTeacher

Old 04-27-2014, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It would not be OK in my classroom either. Very disrespectful and very tacky. I usually frame it that some things you can say at home or at summer camp that are not appropriate for school.

SusanTeach

language
Old 04-27-2014, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Absolutely not okay. I'm sure he thought he was being funny, but it was still inappropriate.

I started pronouncing the planet like Bill Nye does it (yur- (short i) -nis) - now we no longer have to worry about it.

Weezer

nope
Old 05-04-2014, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not acceptable in my room either On another note, I get tired of hearing the word "frickin" and students who say "What the>>>?" and leave it blank. When you say something to them they just look at you like what's wrong with what I said?

jelvenko

Old 05-04-2014, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would not accept it from my students. No matter what the age is. I have a class full of boys, and I have had multiple discussions with them about appropriate and inappropriate speech. (We have had the fart talk multiple times this year.) I also teach 6th grade math at my school and even though I never have behavior problems with my girls in that class I have had to give them a couple of talks about the same thing.

For example, just last week during a math lesson one of the angles in the example was angle "p". Needless to say my girls were already giggly that day and hearing me talk about how to find which angle "p" was congruent to threw them into even more fits of laughter. One of them even asked me "Mrs. B, why do you want to find pee?" So I put my foot down and had a little talk with them about it. They are good kids, just had a silly day that day. I don't mind them giggling a little bit because I know that they are paying attention when I am teaching. However they were pushing it that particular day and I had to reel them back in.

So in short, it doesn't matter if the child is in PreK, 3rd Grade, or any other grade, they need to understand that it is not appropriate to say things like that even if they think they are being funny. The explanations as to why certain things are inappropriate do vary based on age, but consistency is important. If you tell one student not to say it, then a younger student says the same thing and nothing is done I feel that it is setting a double standard and will get kids upset as well as parents.

Just my thoughts on it.

stressgirl37

inappropriate
Old 05-10-2014, 11:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's totally unacceptable. Stand up for what you know isn't right.