Help

BusyBoard

Online lesson plan

>

hockeyfan

Online lesson plan
Old 06-22-2016, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am sure this question has been asked 100 times, but here goes again, does anyone use or like an online lesson plan website? I have been toying with the idea for a year now and not sure where to start. Thanks

iteachk2010

Old 06-22-2016, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use Oncourse for online lesson plans in my district. I'm not sure if it offers the same options that other sites do.

Here are some of the benefits:

We can access previous years' (as far back as 10 years so far) lesson plans to compare the pacing each year. I don't always do the same thing every year so I can also look back to see how I did different projects or activities that I haven't done in a while.

We can save time by cutting/pasting lessons into our lesson plans and then just tweaking those plans to meet the needs of our current group of students.

We can share access to our lesson plans with our colleagues which makes it easier to collaborate and share ideas. Plus we can copy/paste from each other's plans so we don't have to reinvent the wheel. I find it helpful for my pacing to see where my colleagues are. We have different groups of students, but it gives me a general idea of where I need to be.

If we have an unplanned absence, we don't have to worry about dropping off plans. Our administrator or colleagues can print out our plans for the substitute teacher.

Since the plans are electronic, it is very easy to go in and tweak them during the week if needed. Life happens-unplanned assemblies, fire drills, lessons take more/less time...

Since my lesson plans are stored online, I don't have to worry about using up the memory on my hard drive or finding space in my filing cabinet for hard copies of my lessons.

I can curate my resources for different lessons/topics and include them in my lesson plans. i.e. list books, videos with their links, websites with their links. I can add notes after the lessons to help me when planning the next year. i.e. tell what worked or didn't work, mention is a resource was helpful, note that I need to find additional resources or even say I need to allow more time for an activity.

At the beginning of the year, I create a weekly template for that year's lesson plans which includes details for things like student arrival procedures (i.e. how students order lunch, how teacher takes attendance, what students do when they first arrive), the morning routine which includes a morning meeting and calendar binder routine, recess duties, and dismissal procedures. I highlight the time slots for special area subjects and provide those teachers' names/room numbers so substitutes will have that information. I have detailed lesson plans, but it doesn't take me a long time. I use my template when I do my lesson plans so all that information is always in my lesson plans, but I only had to type it that first time when I created the template. I hope that makes sense.

SusanTeach

Oncourse
Old 06-22-2016, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use it in our district as well. I really like it, but I've never used anything else so I have nothing to compare it with. We've used it for many years now.

dutchgirl

Old 06-22-2016, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use planbook.com and love it. It's very easy, and only $12 a year. Our district doesn't use it, but you can share your plans with another teacher, or with parents and students if you choose to. You can go back and see previous year's lessons. You can make lesson templates for each class or subject. You can add links and attach documents. It does everything I want! I have also had excellent service from them when I have questions.

Riding4Him

Online lesson planning
Old 06-22-2016, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I second Planbook.com. I have used it for three years now and love it. I was a tried and true "write it in pencil in a planbook" kinda gal but I really love the features of an online planbook. One thing I really like is that I can link a video or an attachment right into my plans. No more hunting for something on my computer in the middle of a science lesson, I just hit the link and the video is there.

hockeyfan

Great information
Old 06-22-2016, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I am looking for, my admin is looking into commoncurriculum.com which appears to be very similar to what you use. I am somewhat tech savvy and I will have colleagues coming to me for help. I will forward the great information on Oncourse to my admin. Thank you again!!

hockeyfan

planbook.com
Old 06-22-2016, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Does planbook.com have links to the standards? Are the standards already there and you can click and drag? I am trying to help out my admin and find something that everyone can use. Thank you for information.

ELAteacher2

Old 06-22-2016, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hockeyfan, yes planbook.com has links to the standards. It even keeps track of how many times you've hit each standard. Your lessons are saved for years, too.

Weezer

planbookedu.com
Old 06-23-2016, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've used this one for 3 years and really like it.

xoink

Lesson plans
Old 06-23-2016, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used on oncourse a few years ago and really liked it. Our district decided it was too expensive and developed their own. Lots of issues, can't use spell check😱, frequently being revised etc. They did give an option to use theirs or a word template. Still a lot of work to get started.

iteachk2010

Old 06-24-2016, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Oncourse-yes-you can add the standards to your lessons. It is very easy to do from a drop-down menu.

You can also add documents and links to your lesson plans.

g8torteacher

Planbook.com
Old 06-25-2016, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If you put your school's standards into a spreadsheet and send it to planbook.com, they will put them in the drop down menu for you