Reading
Old 11-01-2021, 02:45 PM

I am reading
The Aviators WifeĒ

Itís about Charles LindberghĒs wife
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 11-01-2021, 02:54 PM

I absolutely loved Ordinary Grace and This Tender Land, both by William Kent Kreuger. They are billed as companion novels, both set in the Minnesota river valley, one in 1930s the other in the 1960s.

I also love The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich. Bonus is the audio book is the author reading herself.

Both books have amazing characterization, beautiful evocative language, and moments that make you laugh out loud and then other moments that make you weep.
word girl is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

books
Old 11-01-2021, 03:55 PM

Just finished Leonard and Hungry Paul, recommended here. I enjoyed hanging out with nice people. I also reread (in audible form ) Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. I'm into comfort reads at the moment.

I'll be interested in reading this thread for new ideas.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Books
Old 11-01-2021, 04:27 PM

Three Sisters by Heather Morris. She also wrote The Tattooist of Auschwitz. I enjoyed this as much as you can given the subject matter.

tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-01-2021, 06:26 PM

I finished The Lincoln Highway. I loved this coming-of-age road-trip. Not only does Towles write beautifully, he understands story and humanity. He is a master of “explode a moment” and entertaining the lucky reader. I was talking with a friend who was reading it and we laughed to discover we were discussing the characters as if they were people we knew—that’s a good book. If you’re looking for another Gentleman in Moscow, you’ll be disappointed; if you’re looking for writer with a story to tell….read on.

Now I’m reading Great Circle by Shipstead. I don’t love the characters, but the dual stories of an early aviator and a modern actress are fascinating.

I read literature in text format and listen to crapola. If you like British crime drama, I highly recommend the work of Val McDermid. I call them great serial killer sagas, the author calls her work Tartan Noir.

word girl, I loved The Night Watchman.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 11-01-2021, 06:55 PM

I read Gold Diggers by Sanjena Sathian, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. It's a coming-of-age, immigrant/second generation, love story (?) with a little bit of magical realism thrown in. I'm still thinking about it.

I also reread Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin. I first read it in college (mmmmm... 20 years ago), but recently heard someone talking it and realized it had slipped from my memory. Still powerful, still heart-breaking. I listened to it this time and appreciated it even more.

Right now I'm reading Dune () because my spouse really wants to watch the movie. My strict "book before movie" rule is really coming home to roost. I've made him read a ton of books before watching the movie, so turnabout is fair play.

In between I'm listening to the Alex Delaware series by Jonathon Kellerman.
Quote:
I read literature in text format and listen to crapola.
This really made me laugh because that's what I tend to do - this series has approximately 92 books in it, and is definitely not capital L Literature. But they also require zero mental energy and I can listen to them between more thoughtful books.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Reading
Old 11-01-2021, 07:22 PM

Iíve almost finished Mad at the World, an award winning biography of John Steinbeck by William Souder. Itís a fascinating book and extremely well written. It includes plenty of historical background that adds to the book.

Next up, Keep Sharp by Sanjay Gupta. A friend is lending me her copy but I may want to buy my own copy after I finish.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

smithf1

Now reading
Old 11-02-2021, 06:37 AM

The Most Beautiful Girl in Cuba by Chanel Cleeton

I knew nothing of the Spanish war to control Cuba. Also highlights strong women
smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

books
Old 11-02-2021, 07:31 AM

I'm reading the recent Louise Penny, The Madness of Crowds. Excellent take on our pandemic times.

On the Bright Side by Hendrick Groen, pseudonym for Peter de Smet. A humorous and truthful look at aging, living in a senior facility in the Netherlands. I assumed the Dutch might have a more creative and better way with elders, but they have the same challenges and woes. This is the second "Diary of Hendrick Groen' The first caused quite a fuss in the Netherlands because he writes national policies on aging, funding, etc.

Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 11-02-2021, 07:50 AM

I posted on the Facebook thread as well.

October books:
The Vanishing Stair and The Hand on the Wall both by Maureen Johnson. Books 2 &3 in the Truly Devious series.

A Burning by Megha Majumdar. It's well written but bleak; social commentary on the Indian political/caste system that translates to probably every social system world wide.

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow. Magical realism/time travel.

The Madness of Crowds by Louise Penny. Ahhh

Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson. Psychological thriller that just wasn't very good

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. This is MUCH better than the drivel that was Artemis but not as good as The Martian. There's a LOT of science that my eyes glazed over but the story was pretty good.

Currently reading:
How the Penguins Saved Veronica by Hazel Prior. My SIL loved this. I'm not loving it yet.

The Box in the Woods by Maureen Johnson. The next book after her Truly Devious series. I'm caught in the back story and it's restful to read when I can't continue reading the next book on my list.

Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart. I'm reading this for my Book Club. It's extremely well written but relentlessly bleak. I can only read it for about 20 minutes at a time. I'd give it up but the person who chose it needs me to finish it.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 11-02-2021, 08:23 AM

I actually liked a Project Hail Mary even more than The Martian. Shuggie Bain is a tough read, but I really liked it. It sticks with you.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Fleurdelys

Old 11-02-2021, 08:59 AM

The Apothecary by Sarah Penner
Liked this one.

The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett
❤️ This author

Aged for Death by Fiona Grace - this is the second book of three. Not great

Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain- kept my attention

God Rest Ye Royal Gentlemen by Rhys Bowen- cozy mystery-
Fleurdelys is online now   Reply With Quote

yrutching

October, 2021 Books
Old 11-02-2021, 10:54 AM

Someone Knows by Lisa Scottloline is a thriller/mystery about four teenagers who share a tragic horrible experience and decide to keep it a secret. It was a page turner that had a very disturbing part toward the ending and also an unexpected twist at the end.

The Last Garden in England by Julia Kelly is an enjoyable book about three different time periods, all related to the same garden in England. There were quite a few characters to remember.

Three Words for Goodbye by Hazel Gaynor is an interesting book about two very different sisters, who at the request of their grandmother travel to Europe. While there they discover secrets, love, and forgiveness.

The Better Sister by Alafair Burke is a bizarre story about two sisters who reunite after a tragic event. Secrets from the past are revealed with an unexpected twist at the end of the book. I enjoyed the book but thought some parts were unrealistic.

Chasing Shadows by Lynn Austin is an inspirational Christian historical fiction WWII novel about three strong women in the Netherlands and their courage, trials, and tribulations enduring the war.
yrutching is online now   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 11-03-2021, 04:37 AM

I have read more than usual this month.

The Dutch House by Ann Pachett was one I listened to.
Anxious People by Fredrick Backman
It took me a minute to get into these 2 but I'm glad I did. Enjoyed both.

Kingdom of the Blind & The Madness of Crowds by Louise Penny - I've now completed all her Gamache books. Great series!

Dear Mrs. Bird a debut novel by A. J. Pearce - listened to this one and liked it!

The Tortilla Curtain by T. C. Boyle - listened to this one. Tough topics but good book!

Crazy Faith by Michael Todd - he was the 1st person interviewed by Hoda Kotb for her new podcast. It's a fast easy read.

The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles - great book!
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 11-04-2021, 05:20 PM

Annie and Green Bunny, I liked Project Hail Mary, but the Martian is still my favorite. I never made it through Artemis.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 11-06-2021, 08:16 AM

My October books were:

Last Summer at the Golden Hotel by Elyssa Friedland- about a Catskills resort in modern times and how the family is dealing with the decline of that era

The Show Girl by Nicola Harrison- young woman who joins the Ziegfeld Follies in the 1920's - reminded me a lot of City of Girls

Not a Happy Family by Shari Lapena- family drama/suspense involving a wealthy couple who are murdered and the finger being pointed at the three adult children for different reasons

My Survival: A Girl on Schlindler's List by Rena Finder - young adult book about a Jewish woman who worked for Oskar Schindler as a child during the Holocaust

Hooked by Sutton Foster - I love her and this was a semi-autobiography about her and how crafting got her through difficult parts of her life

No One Will Miss Her by Kat Rosenfeld - suspense about a woman murdered in a small town and the connection between a well-to-do couple from the big city

I also started The Testaments by Margaret Atwood; it's the follow up to The Handmaid's Tale but halfway through it, I took a break. It's VERY long and just didn't grab me. I plan to return to it at some point but there were many other books I had put on hold that I wanted to read.

I just started The Second Life of Mirielle West by Amanda Skenandore - it's about the wife of a film star in the silent movie era and her getting sent to a leper colony
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote